Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 9th, 2014 06:00

ANTI-KeyLoggers

We've had a few discussions in this forum about KeyScrambler... a program which purportedly encrypts your keystrokes, so that if you have a [hidden] keylogger running on your system, all it will "see" is a bunch of gibberish.

I've just found a [year-old] article, which tests KeyScrambler and Zemana AntiLogger Free [and two other programs], which confirms they actually do what they claim!   :emotion-2:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/keystroke-encryption/

Comments:

1) Stress the article is old.  The programs each have newer versions, which doesn't necessarily equate to saying they're improved.   Conversely, I guess it's also possible that the KeyLOGGERS have become more effective in bypassing the protection programs that try to stop them.

2) While the article concludes with a good verdict that "Zemana AntiLogger Free and KeyScrambler Premium passed all 13 tests by preventing the keyloggers to record the text that was typed from the keyboard", it also notes that each of these programs can be successfully attacked by malware that silently uninstalls them :emotion-6:.   As such, a user needs to be vigilant in guaranteeing these programs are actively running.   [Those who have WinPatrol set to warn you when a program is UNinstalled will hopefully get a notice in such a case.]

3) While I was a fan/advocate of KeyScrambler Free through version 2.9.3, I have NOT been happy with the newer version 3.x... it was messing-up my input.   So, having "tried" 3.x, I have "reverted back" to  2.9.3; and no longer look for KeyScrambler updates.   Unfortunately, KS 2.9.3 is NOT compatible with recent versions of Firefox... but it still continues to offer me protection in Internet Explorer.

4) I have recently tried out Zemana AntiLogger FREE.   Very simple to install/use.   Zemana claims to offer keystroke protection in ALL programs (as opposed to KeyScrambler Free, which only protects a handful of browsers).   Zemana also acknowledges and defers to KeyScambler when both are present:   KeyScrambler continues to protect IE, while Zemana "kicks-in" for my other programs.   [Of course, now that I've found the above article which confirms these anti-logger programs really do what they claim, there's no need to keep the more-limited KeyScrambler Free around... and indeed, I've already removed it from my XP system.]

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

March 29th, 2014 16:00

Zemana AntiLogger Free 1.7.2.364        

last updated:  Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:16 PM     

• Fixed a bug disabling encryption on the following applications:
    • Viber Desktop
    • Yahoo Messenger
    • Waterfox Browser
    • Ace Utilities
    • WorldOfTanks Game
    • Tibia Game

2 Intern

• 

5.8K Posts

April 2nd, 2014 15:00

Finally got around to installing Zemana Antilogger Free on my XP, based on your review and recommendation.

Seems like a simple intuitive program, with no configuration needed. No nags, ads or bundled software to worry about so far, and no objections from my resident security to its presence.

It will, of course, be unnecessary next week when I take XP offline, at least until I feel safe to reconnect, if ever. Still, it's nice to take for a test drive, and have it installed in case it's ever needed.

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 14th, 2014 18:00

Zemana AntiLogger Free 1.7.2.370
Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:58 AM
  • Fixed a bug disabling encryption on the following applications:
    • Primo PDF
    • Quickbooks Pro
  • Minor improvements and fixes

3 Apprentice

• 

15.3K Posts

June 24th, 2014 18:00

The Spyrix site indicates that "These programs are popular among parents who want to ensure that their children are safe over the Internet and to keep a check they the kids don’t visit unwanted sites."

While use of keyloggers to protect young children (up to a certain age) may have some merit, their use to spy on older children is problematic, their use to spy on a spouse is detestable, and their use to monitor employees activities may be illegal (depending on employee contract, rights, pre-notification, and workplace guidelines).

1 Message

June 24th, 2014 18:00

I use Spyrix free keylooger from some time. 

Spyrix provides free keylogger software which is helpful for monitoring your children, spouse, employees in company....

You can get more information here http://spyrix.com 

2 Intern

• 

2.2K Posts

June 28th, 2014 09:00

I've been using Zemana for about a week or so and am pleased with it. I did notice that that it exhibited a one time (so far) instance of not showing the letters I typed correctly. Something else appeared on the screen. Key Scramber did this on a frequent basis, but not all the time.

I type in various sites and forums, everything MSN.com to Fox Sports and many other forums. The easy solution is to simply turn it off for a bit, but I am curious as to what could cause it to go intermittently "rogue".

No Events found!