Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

November 9th, 2022 19:00

Dell G3 3579 3 amber and 1 white battery code and won't turn on

So this started about 2 weeks ago i had problems that the battery was plugged in but wasn't charging so i bought a new battery off amazon that is the right battery type. So when it came in i swapped the batteries and then powered on the laptop at first it worked and updated itself after 20 mins or so it turned off. After that it didn't power on, i could hear the fans running then hearing them turn off after a couple of seconds. So i removed the battery and held the power button for 30 seconds to try to reset the laptop but it still didnt turn on or power anything.I checked the adapter with the multimeter and it fine. Checked the cmos battery and its fine even replaced it. Also checked if the jack connection to the mb and its getting power. Tested the ram it works too. The weird part is that when I unplug the adapter then plug it back in it powers the laptop but no display, the fan run at full speed.Then when i press the power button it shuts down then keyboard lights back up then turns off then won't power up if I press the power button until I unplug and plug it again does the same thing. Then I started getting the 3 amber 1 white light after unplugging and replugging the adapter. I don't know what could possible be wrong if its the bios or a short in the motherboard. Sorry for all the information at once. 

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 05:00

To add to the above post when i did get it going it was fine when asleep over night but when i shut it down it wouldn't boot up in the morning.

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 05:00

Hi all, Got an xps 13 9370 i7 16gb 4k  and having the same issue with the lights which as said indicates cmos issue but have changed it 3 times to make sure and still nothing. Although i did get it going a few days ago but it didn't last and reverted back . So black screen , cannot get into bios,keyboard lights up and the fans are both working with the blinking three amber one white combo at the front,really at a loss now hence me joining up here when i saw the above post.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 06:00

Just an FYI that Busanga posted about a similar 3 amber / 1 white flashing of LED diagnostic lights (CMOS battery failure) in their 16-Sep-2022 thread Flashing LED Light XPS13 2 in 1 9310, even though their XPS 13 9310 2-in-1 laptop model does not have a CMOS battery.

Just before starting that thread Busanga posted about a problem with their screen shutting off while on battery power in their 03-Sep-2022 thread XPS13 2 in 1 9310 Screen Keeps Going Black and No Response to Keys.  As far as I know Busanga never found a permanent solution but you might find some helpful suggestions in one of those threads.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2251 * Firefox v107.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2210.6-1.1.19800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.18.226-1.0.1823 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7175 * Dell SupportAssist v3.13.0.236 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.7.1 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 06:00

Thanks for that but i've basically tried it all, even when i managed to get it going i did a full diagnostics test by pressing f12 and everything checked out fine . Seen quite a few similar issues on this site including the windows dell firmware update being blamed for it,personally think it's a BIOS issue and something has gone wrong but what i don't know !

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 08:00

Just seen this article on notebook check which is making me wonder even more about the bios .

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Some-Dell-systems-are-not-booting-due-to-BIOS-upgrades.588929.0.html

6 Posts

December 3rd, 2022 09:00

Hi lmacri, Using windows 11 pro version and the bios is the latest v1.21.0 which i downloaded from the dell uk support page directly and not through the support assistant software . If i can get this going again i will downgrade the bios straightaway and see how that pans out over a few days . Convinced this is a bios issue now as the fans,the battery,the lights,the ssd,the screen as did the D test and everything else is working as it should. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2022 09:00

@teetee wrote:

... Seen quite a few similar issues on this site including the windows dell firmware update being blamed for it,personally think it's a BIOS issue and something has gone wrong but what i don't know !

Hi teetee:

What is your Windows operating system [if Win 10 or Win 11 please include the edition (e.g., Home, Pro, etc.), version, and OS build number shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications]? Do you have the latest Dell XPS 13 9370 System BIOS v1.21.0 (rel. 24-Aug-2022) currently listed <here> on the support page for your XPS 13 9370? To find your BIOS version enter msinfo32 in a Run dialog box (Windows + R keys) to open your System Information panel and look for the field named "BIOS Date/Version".

Note that many users in this forum do not recommend using a Dell utility like SupportAssist or Dell Update to install BIOS updates just in case the update fails to run to completion. As you noted, some users have even reported that their system would not boot up after SupportAssist updated their BIOS and they had to downgrade their BIOS before they could boot up their system.

If SupportAssist v3.x or Dell Update v4.x finds an available BIOS update for my Inspiron 5584 I normally download the .exe installer from the Driver & Downloads tab of my Inspiron 5584 support page and save it to my desktop, and then right-click and choose "Run as Administrator" to allow Windows to install the update. Many other Dell users believe this method is still too risky and flash their BIOS from the F12 BIOS boot menu using a removable USB thumb drive as employee DELL-Chris M recommended in Kflash's 10-Nov-2022 thread Inspiron 3583, BIOS Fails Due to Password.

Instructions for both methods for updating the BIOS (i.e., from Windows of from the F12 BIOS boot menu)  are always posted in the "Installation Instructions" section of the release notes (driver details) for every BIOS update listed on the support page for your Dell computer model. For example, see the Dell XPS 13 9370 System BIOS v1.21.0 release notes <here>.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2251 * Firefox v107.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2210.6-1.1.19800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.18.226-1.0.1823 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7175 * Dell SupportAssist v3.13.0.236 * Dell Update for Windows Universal v4.7.1 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.21.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

6 Posts

December 5th, 2022 02:00

Right no real progress made and do think its a bios/motherboard issue now, the light sequences are erratic and tried various power options, holding it down for a while and just repeatedly hitting it. Managed to get into the bios twice when it asked to update the time which i did both times but after feeling moments of joy both times it just shut itself down again and would not boot up. What is clear is that it's not keeping time and no matter how many times you correct it it makes no difference and yes i've changed the battery numerous times.  So have now put it on ebay for parts sadly.

No Events found!