Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2005 21:00

copy DVD to computer

I can't record my DVD's to my computer to edit them.  I have dual drives and movie maker.  Any help?  Dell has spent 6 hours and can't help me. 

Message Edited by Coach McD on 02-16-2005 11:01 PM

15.3K Posts

February 17th, 2005 08:00

Hi Coach,

It you can please list the name / models of your drives. Also as a side note, what type of DVD are you trying to copy? If it happend to be a commercial hollywood movie, then you are seeing the embedded copy protection on the disc kicking in.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

7 Posts

February 17th, 2005 10:00

I have an Dimension 8400 with media center and 16 x dual drives.  I was trying to copy a DVD-R that I burned with my basketball game on it to my computer.  It only allows me to view it and not copy it to my computer.  I put it in the DVD Rom to view it and not the DVD Burner.  Is there a way to just copy DVD'S that I burn onto my computer so that I can select certain games and then burn them back onto another disc later?  Thanks a lot if you could help.  No one else has been able to.  Coach McD  (Basketball Coach in Michigan)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2005 12:00

Coach:

It is a fairly complicated procedure to "rip" and edit video such as you are describing. You may want to post this in the video forum.

2.1K Posts

February 17th, 2005 18:00

@osprey4 wrote:

Coach:

It is a fairly complicated procedure to "rip" and edit video such as you are describing. You may want to post this in the video forum.

Not that complicated depending on your software. With Roxio you use Capture, point it to the DVD and click capture…

That creates a mpeg or avi file depending on what you chose.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2005 19:00

Thanks, Jim, I'm not familiar with Roxio.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2005 23:00

so a simple DVD that was already burned can't be recorded by me on my computer?

428 Posts

February 18th, 2005 17:00

When I put a DVD(a homemade one) into the drive and open Windows Explorer and click on the DVD drive icon I can see the folder/files that are on the DVD. I can copy all these to a folder on my hard drive. I don't know if that's what you want. With the Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 software that I have I can use the DVD copy function to copy a DVD to a blank DVD disc, or to a folder on my hard drive. The Roxio program(and many other programs) have functions to capture the files on a DVD, edit and then burn them to a blank DVD. So, maybe you can't do what you want with the software that is on your computer. I don't have a media center Dell so I don't know what you have on it.

Ken

7 Posts

February 20th, 2005 12:00

Thanks for info.  I'll look into Roxio.  Everytime I look at another program though it says it can only capture off another device such as a camcorder or a VCR.  I looked under Windows Explorer and it didn't help (if I was doing it right)  Coach McD

No Events found!