Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 18th, 2007 13:00

Found the NEW MESSAGE place :) My CDs will not play when inserted in twr.

I have a D-5110 puter & when I insert the audio CD(reg store CD) the cd does not play!

I have MEDIA PLAYER & QUICK-Time om my puter.

I don't know what to type in start link under RUN to start it...doesn't the puter start CDs when inserted??

The other 2 I have in the past have but not now.

I want to enjoy music & the radio.

HELP

PS: I am familiar with some aspects of puters and learn fast so don't get too technical at first, PLEASE.

I don't know where the page is that tells the "specs" of the computer :( but it has DELL 5110 on tower if this helps...I run MS windows 7 & have Office XP installed if this helps.

10.9K Posts

August 18th, 2007 15:00

Select Start then My Computer.  Right-click the drive and select Properties.
Select the AutoPlay tab.  This is where you set things up as you desire.

29 Posts

August 18th, 2007 16:00

My word NOISE refers to the fast spinning in the tower etc...not anything over the speakers.

29 Posts

August 18th, 2007 16:00

THNKS SKY :)

Finally got the CD to make noise and the Media Player to pop up...

BUT now I get nothing playing...the CD songs etc are listed but I get this POP-UP:

Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted.

What is wrong now...it seems the songs are listed but I get the above bolded when I want to play the music :( :(

Thanks for the info to at least get things moving 1 step but have to take a few more steps now :(

10.9K Posts

August 18th, 2007 17:00

Open Windows Media Player.  On the Menus Bar, select Tools.  Under that select Options.
Select the File Types tab.  Put a check mark in the boxes for the file types you want
Windows Media Player to be able to play (or just check them all).  See if that will
allow the CD to play.

29 Posts

August 20th, 2007 18:00

SHY,
"Open Windows Media Player.  On the Menus Bar, select Tools.  Under that select Options.
Select the File Types tab.  Put a check mark in the boxes for the file types you want
Windows Media Player to be able to play (or just check them all).  See if that will
allow the CD to play."

Where is the TOOLS tab on MP-11??

I looked everywhere and do not see a drop down or tab for tools :( :(

29 Posts

Just LOCAL DISK C

& under where D:CD/RW

showed up occasionally yesterday is a

DELL DJ-Explorer & pic icon of it...

The MUSICMATCH RIP still shows I NEED a CD DRIVE. :(

The Music match has diff words... NO CD/DVD drives have been detected!!

10.9K Posts

When you look in My Computer, does the drive appear there?

29 Posts

...sorry for all the posts...I meant MENU tab to find the TOOLS...

I am sick of this problem.

29 Posts

I FORGOT to add that I was getting a COM SURROGATE error every once in a while... ("...has encountered a problem and has to CLOSE...")

about 6-7 times I encountered an error(diff. from the SURROGATE error) that had to be reported to MS ??????

29 Posts

Usually get NOTHING in the D: place.

I even uninstalled & REloaded the MMatch to see if I could get more CDs ripped but it did not work...when I want to play or RIP a CD on MP-11 I get NO CD DRIVE.........................

29 Posts

Hi Sky,
I tried most of yesterday with this:
1. It seems I have NO D drive
2. It looks like I do not have a D-drive...showed up one time but does not now.
3. Is there a card loose in the tower or ?? to cause this.
4. I loaded MUSICMATCH from downloads and it worked for a while but now it is back to NO CD DRIVE availible for CD use :( :(
5. I went to the device mgr and updated all drivers I had...9-10 of the INTEL ones updated but this did not fix the problem.
6. Went to MS DOWNLOADS to look for a DRIVER to use but I am at a loss as to which download to use :( :(

What is a good MS download or dell one to use to get my CD DRIVER up and running????

When I loaded the musicmatch I went back to my Media Player 11 and it worked a while too!! I RIPPED 3 CDs but then it stopped and showed I needed to have a CD DRIVER to do it etc...

WHERE is my D:CD/ROM drive??? It seems to be intermittent.

I have the following:
DELL DIMENSION DE051   INTEL(R) CELERON(R) CPU 2.53 GHz
2.53 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

My System:
MS WINDOWS XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

------------------
This problem is driving me nuts and I was awash with ALL the possible downloads at MS.com for drivers...

PLEASE give me a link so I can get a CD DRIVER working on my unit...

Thanks,

10.9K Posts

August 20th, 2007 19:00

Look in the Device Manager .............

Start | Control Panel | System in classic view | Hardware tab | Device Manager

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  Right-click the drive and select
Properties.  Is there an Error Code (number)?

29 Posts

August 21st, 2007 03:00

Noticed that when I re looked at PROPS the box was UNchecked again for digital playback...but it did say that it does NOT work with some :( :(

Guess mine is one of them.

SKY,
Do you have a LINK for download so I can RELOAD the CD/RW drivers out of all that MS lists??

29 Posts

SKY...sorry but I took so long to answer.

-------------------
I did what you said in the device mgr & found the following:
SONY CD-RW CRX217E
& device status=
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware BUT  cannot find the hardware device [code 41]

Also after right clicking, I noticed that ONE of the drivers(out of 5) was NOT digitally signed!! The other 4 drivers were.

The one not signed was C:WINDOWS\SYSTEMS32\DRIVERS\AFC SYS

=========================
JUST

29 Posts

Just noticed that the DIGITAL PLAYBACK was NOT enabled...

I checked it and will see if stuff works now...

HOPE SO, man :)

BRB
No Events found!