Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2004 04:00

Error Playing Shaolin Soccer DVD

Hey all - I recently bought Shaolin Soccer on DVD, but it won't play on my new Inspiron 8600.  I have installed the firmware update for the QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-242 that came with my computer, and I have installed the update to WinDVD.  When I put the DVD into my computer, I can choose to play it in any app: Windows Media Player 9, WinDVD, or RealOne player.  In all three applications, the FBI warning plays, then the company name splash screen plays (Universe Laser something something), and then the video freezes.  The audio continues, however, into the Dolby Digital splash screen, and then to the DVD menu.  I can choose any chapter, any part in the movie from there, and the DVD plays, but the video never changes - it's stuck, even though the audio works fine.  This does not occur when I try this DVD in my other computer with it's DVD drive, or my actual DVD player hooked up to my TV.   Only on my new Inspiron 8600 does this occur.

Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?  Is there a flaw in this drive?

-Sprial Clyde

2.6K Posts

February 4th, 2004 16:00

SpiralClyde,

Thank you for using Dell's Community Forum.

What happens if you try playing another DVD on this system, does it work?

February 4th, 2004 17:00

Sorry I forgot to mention that - the drive plays all other DVDs that I throw at it, including my own, rentals, friends, etc.  This is the only DVD that doesn't play in it, but this DVD does work in all other drives I've tried it in.  Thanks -

SprialClyde

412 Posts

February 8th, 2004 04:00

If you have WinDVD installed, Windows media player is actually using the WinDVD decoder to play back the DVD, not sure about RealOne though.  It sounds as though this is a software rather than hardware problem as the DVD is recognized.  The only solution I can think of is trying another DVD decoder engine.  Here's a link to supported engines, since you already have the Intervideo engine, I'd try another.

Another thing to consider (I'm not familiar with the title, but it sounds like it may be an import), is it region 1 or Not Region specific, and is it formatted in NTSC for North America.  I've had luck with Non region coded DVD's and WinDVD, so that shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, if you prefer, the sites linked will also sell full standalone player programs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/buypacks.aspx

Message Edited by jk79 on 02-08-2004 01:32 AM

Message Edited by jk79 on 02-08-2004 01:57 AM

No Events found!