Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

August 4th, 2008 00:00

Connecting a PC hard drive to a laptop?

We recently experienced a power surge from a storm that created multiple problems for our PC(Dimension E510), including an inability to power on and access the hard drive and we have decided to just buy another computer.  My wife's work depends a great deal on the computer and some of what she needs is on the PC hard drive and it will be tough if she has to wait the 10-12 days for our new Dell to arrive.  She also uses a laptop(Inspiron E1505).

My question:

Is there a way to remove the hard drive from the PC and connect it to the laptop?

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

And, oh yeah, we will be backing things up to external sources from now on. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 4th, 2008 01:00

coach3hicks

Buy a powered USB 2.0 external enclosure, similar to this and install the 3.5" hard drive in it and connect the enclosure, to one the laptop's USB ports.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

coach3hicks

You are welcome.

If the hard drive is IDE, you need to set the jumpers to the 'Master', before installing the drive in the enclosure.

Bev.

I'm on it.  Thanks so much.

August 4th, 2008 02:00

Thanks again.

August 4th, 2008 17:00

Another issue:

I purchased an external enclosure that appeared to meet all necessary specs but I opened it up to find that the connection points on my drive don't match those of the enclosure.  Do they make adapters or do I need to do more research before buying my next one?

August 4th, 2008 17:00

Nevermind.  I found the answer to my last question in another thread.  The enclosure I purchased though simply says ATA... nothing about P ATA or S ATA.  Anyway, I'm off to do more research.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 4th, 2008 18:00

coach3hicks

Good luck with the research.

The enclosure I gave the link to, was suitable for both PATA [IDE] and SATA hard drives.

Bev.

No Events found!