Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2008 04:00

How do I get the MS Office (Home and Student) Product Key?

Just bought laptop with MS Office 2007 (Home and Student). Upon startup of Word, Excel, or PowerPoint it requires me to enter a 25 character "product key". Where am I supposed to get/find this? Do they send it to me on my invoice (which I haven't received yet)? I am allowed 25 startups of these programs before it will stop me without the product key.

What should I do? (just wait?) Or is it buried in the packaging. BTW, the sticker under the laptop looks like it it has a 25 character product key but it doesn't work. That product key is probably just for the Vista licence.

7.9K Posts

April 2nd, 2008 13:00

There should be an Office CD with the order.  THe product code will be on it.

13 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 16:00

Thank you !!

BTW, I was told that the Retail version of the office software is actually a 3 computer licence. Is the one that dell installed also a 3 computer licence?

1.8K Posts

I believe that what Dell sends you is an OEM product and the license not only restricts you to one computer, but also to that one computer on which it is currently installed (it can not be transferred to another computer even if this one is trashed).  Most people will recommend that you buy Office at retail rather than through Dell for this reason since the prices at Dell are not different from what you get at retail, but come with significantly more restrictions.

1.8K Posts

You are welcome, and good luck.

13 Posts

Hey thanks for the information. I feared that was the case. Oh well....

7.9K Posts

April 2nd, 2008 18:00

If it makes you feel better, the reason hte OEM is restricted is because it cost you less than a retail copy would

4.4K Posts

April 4th, 2008 09:00

Not necessarily.  Students can purchase academic software versions from places like www.academicsuperstore  for nice discounts.  Not the case so much with Office 2007, but many other products.

7.9K Posts

April 4th, 2008 15:00

Yeah, I mean ... I got office 2007 professional from my school for $50.  The EULA resembles the retail version (in terms of activations) but I don't think I'm supposed to use it once I graduate.

4.4K Posts

April 4th, 2008 16:00

You could be like my son.  Never-ending student, now in his 6th year with a couple to go. :smileysad:

7.9K Posts

April 4th, 2008 17:00

Negative ... I'll be lucky if I survive the next two years of this :)

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 15th, 2008 22:00

If you do have an office 2003, or 2007 product installed:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Running and executing this program should get you the product key, if you have one.

Also will give you your xp and vista code.

No Events found!