Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 2nd, 2011 07:00

Corel WinDVD cannot play a DVD

Problem:

I install Corel WinDVD 2010. It installs fine. Providing I don't have a DVD inserted into the drive, I can run WinDVD fine, I can even play a .avi file with it without any having any problems. If on the other hand I insert a DVD or I launch it when a DVD is inserted I get the following error messages:

WinDVD 9:

"WinDVD MFC Application has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

WinDVD 2010:

"WinDVD has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Corel WinDVD then crashes completely.

Temporary Solution:

If I go to device manager and disable the ATI High Definition Audio Device, WinDVD launches fine and plays my DVD with audio. If I disable the Creative X-Fi Soundblaster and enable the ATI High Definition Audio Device, WinDVD will launch (without sound).

I found this out after a bit of messing around. The first time I just disabled all audio devices in device manager before installing the Creative Soundblaster. Then I disabled the integrated Audio in BIOs, the second time I didn't bother with Device Manager as I had the BIOs setting disabled. Thus I used that to get to the temporary solution.

No other programs appear to crash due to having these two devices enabled. If I disable the Creative Card in device manager and enable my Realtek Integrated Audio in the BIOs, WinDVD appears to again work fine. Its like WinDVD doesn't recognise the fact the the ATI High Definition Device is unplugged in the Windows Sound and Playback Devices and subsequently tries to load both playback devices and crashes.

System specifications are listed below with the following Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express Sound Card manually installed. I was wondering why the temporary solution works, if anyone knows.

I was wondering if anyone with an ATI graphics card and a Creative soundcard can get Corel WinDVD to play a DVD, if not does my fix work. In particular, anyone with the Dell XPS 8300 with the Creative X-Fi Titanium and an ATI graphics card experience the same problem? I would be greatful for some feedback, the 30 free day of Corel WinDVD 2010 is available to download here.

I posted on the Corel Support forums here but they don't seem to be anywhere as good as the Dell ones.

No Responses!
No Events found!