Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 27th, 2007 19:00

Lexmark Printer

I just bought a Lexmark X2500 printer and I installed it with no problems.I own a Lexmark X1240 printer which I have been using for a while. I have no problems with the X1240. The X2500 after the install i did a restart and it took 8-10 minutes to restart and when I start the computer up with the X2500 installed it takes that amount of time each time. If I unplug the printer it starts normally. If I install the X1240again it starts normally. I went to Lexmark support they told me it was that Dell USB ports were not grounded properly so they couldn't run the printer. My computer runs the X1240 with no problems. Lexmark says to askDell Support. Has someone else had this problem. I don't think it has to do with bad grounding of the USB ports. Could it be a bad printer? I have a Dimension E520,Pentium D Dual Core 3.0, 1GB Ram, 160 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP Home, Fully Updated and Patched. Thank You in advance for your help hal124

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 27th, 2007 20:00

The problem is easily fixed in most Dells by changing the USB to "no boot" in the BIOS.  I'm not sure if the 520 BIOS has this option but check. 

What is happening is the BIOS is attempting to boot from USB devices, and with a non-bootable device, such as a printer connected, it has to go through the "time out" cycle ( a delay) before continuing with the bootup process.

14 Posts

September 28th, 2007 05:00

Thank you very much for your help. I went into the BIOS and changed the USB controller to "no boot". And it seems to have helped. But why? They are both Lexmark all in ones and one worked fine with the other configuration and one didn't. I don't understand how. Thanks Again hal124

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 28th, 2007 19:00

I can't say.  Most printers, all in one units, scanners, etc will do that.  We have seen this on the forum for at least 4 years that I know of.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 28th, 2007 19:00

I think the problem printer has onboard memory that the BIOS sees as a potential bootable volume, and the other printer does not have the same memory architecture. Just a guess.

14 Posts

September 29th, 2007 06:00

Thank You both very much for your help. hal124
No Events found!