Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2010 21:00

Cannot print, "protection fault", cannot remove the printer driver

I was posting this in Desktop General forum but was re-directed to this forum...

I have Inspiron 530, with XP pro, Oki C5300, HP C4400 all working fine until Sept 3rd.
Suddenly whenever I try to print from a browser (IE or Seamonkey/Firefox), the application crashes and it won't print.

-My Oki C5300 Black drum came to "life", so I replaced it on Sept 7th. New drum didn't make a difference. Now I'm out of toner and will replace it shortly. But that can't cause all of the below? Or can it? I'm dealing with this last few days, couldn't wait to ask any longer... I still wish a new toner clear the problem

-Anti-virus (Kaspersky) showed that "blacklist is corrupted" on Sept 6th, and I had to manually updated it. Could be a virus causing this?

-Java updates, Seamonkey updates, installed recently, Windows update up to date

-If I check "Printer properties" of C5300, get a error "C/Windows/Explorer.Exe, Function address 0x68647646 caused a protection fault. 0xc0000094 Some or all property pages may not be displayed."

-I googled the above message, Microsoft's general instruction is to remove C5300 from "Printers and Faxes", and the printer driver from "Print Server Properties". Then apply a "hotfix" which they emailed me. I deleted C5300 from "Printers", but I cannot remove the printer driver, when I try, I get "Unable to remover Oki C5300 (PCL), Intel, Windows 2000 or XP driver. The specific printer driver is currently in use." Therefore, I cannot run "hotfix" as instructed, before I remove the printer driver.

-I can still print from HP C4400, as long as it's not browser related application, such as Word. I can get HP C4400's Printer Properties open.

-Printing from Interapptive ShipWorks software works on HP C4400 when the task doesn't need to communicate through internet. When ShipWorks needs "Dazzle" application (actual postage printing software) to communicate with USPS server?, it crashes and won't print.

-But I cannot print anything from Oki C5300 (main printer for my business!), any application, browser, Word or any other. Oki C5300's Printer Properties won't open.

Other bits of error messages
-Printing from ShipWorks "An error occurred while printing. Attempted to divide by zero" ???
-ShipWorks RPC server is unavailable"
-"Printer Properties cannot be displayed. The print spooler service is not running." (I checked and it seems running)
-Spooler subsystem App has encountered a problem and need to close. Report error to Microsoft

I don't know where the problem comes from and who to ask. Windows? Microsoft? Oki? Browser? If anyone can shed some lights.... appreciate it...

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2010 02:00

EHMill,

On an unrestricted account, First try running Delete Print Jobs, this will remove any stuck jobs in the queue.

With the printer disconnected, try the removal program that came with it. Start, all programs, your printer, uninstall. If not there, check the control panel. After the printer is removed, Restart your computer. Make sure it was removed.  Manual Printer Driver Removal

Also try THIS ARTICLE.

Rick

20 Posts

September 8th, 2010 07:00

Thanks, somehow I deleted the printer driver from Control Panel (I thought I did the same thing and didn't work that time...), and now I'm running MalwareBytes. I'll  post the results. I already did a System Restore on 6th, to Sept 1st check point. I also did Dell diagnostics, nothing wrong. I started to backup data. Before the complete reinstallation of XP, I'll look at scan results, then Microsoft hotfix, reinstall the printer and driver and try...

20 Posts

September 8th, 2010 08:00

Bad news... "MalwareBytes has encountered a problem and need to close. Report to Microsoft." No scan results. It crashed and still says running when I try to open MalwareBytes. I saw 3 files "infected" during the scan. I read it somewhere to run MalwareBytes in safe mode. Would that be next step?

20 Posts

September 8th, 2010 08:00

Forgot to mention, I also got an error mssg "Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem. Report..." after the first error mssg.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2010 14:00

EHMill,

Doesn't sound good. Did you try tapping F8 and try entering Windows in the Safe mode with networking. Try installing and running Malwarebytes there. You may have to consider a XP repair or reinstall.

Rick

20 Posts

September 8th, 2010 15:00

Rick,

I haven't done safe mode yet. I've posted questions at malwarebytes forum. I'll post back when they're answered. Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 8th, 2010 15:00

No Events found!