Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2008 07:00

928, ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4 does not appear as option in the "Scan to Application" in AIO program

I have just installed the 928 AIO software including the ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4 OCR addition.  All works fine except that when I try to use the "Scan to Application" option in the AIO program, the ScanSoft application does not appear in the list of possible application to run the scan output into.  The likes of Word and Excel appear OK.

I have tried Uninstalling all the AIO package and installing again, but no better.

I have successfully used the ScanSoft wizard to set up a reverse link from the SE4 back to the 928 and run a scan from the ScanSoft end and then done an OCR conversion.  OK that's a way round the problem, but doea anyone know how to get the AIO 928 package to drive the scan and OCR conversion.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 13th, 2008 08:00

Open the Dell All-In-One Center.

Click on scanning and copying, update the list of applications to send scans to.

Click on enhanced search. Add ScanSoft then add the type of extension (probably .rtf)

Also add any other program that you want to send scans to. 

If the program doesn't come up on the enhanced search, to add the program manually, click add in the upper right corner, type the name of the program that you'd like it to appear on the screen, click browse and locate the program your self and remember to give the type of extension to send scans to.

Rick

November 17th, 2008 07:00

Click on scanning and copying, update the list of applications to send scans to.

Click on enhanced search. Add ScanSoft then add the type of extension (probably .rtf)

If the program doesn't come up on the enhanced search, to add the program manually, click add in the upper right corner, type the name of the program that you'd like it to appear on the screen, click browse and locate the program your self and remember to give the type of extension to send scans to.

Rick

Rick

Thanks Rick.

I also have the AIO 942 software and hardware installed on my PC and the actions you describe above are valid for this.  On the AIO 928 software however there is no option I can find to "Update the list of applications to send scans to"

You may wonder why I have both installed.  Being a grandparent I have time to support the family on PC matters.  They are all too busy to dig around in the help systems to resolve their problems.  This printer was giving a problem to one of my sons with its feeder which I have fixed and I then wanted to give it a check-out.  He has never used the OCR option, so I do not know if it worked on his PC.

Ian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 17th, 2008 13:00

Yes, you can do the same for both printers using the Dell All-In-One Center and it should work.

If using Vista, sometimes the OCR Program doesn't work correctly. If you cannot get it to work correctly, then...

Try this FREE OCR Program.

Rick

November 18th, 2008 04:00

I have tried all ways round to insert a .jpg image of a screen dump of the AIO 928 "Scan to an Application" in here.  I cannot see anywhere to add to the applications you can scan to.  The "Choose One" option does not seem to have that functionality.

I have not succeeded in getting the dump in here.  Rick are you prepared to give me an e-mail address I can send the dump as an attachment to a message to you?

Ian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 18th, 2008 09:00

Ian,

First, I'd like to tell you that I'm a regular person just like everyone else. I do NOT work for Dell, but I enjoy trying to help others.

Second, try re-installing the printer with these drivers and see what happens.

Disconnect your printer. Un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the proper drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect your printer(powered on)

Please remember to install the latest firmware for the 928 printer.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

November 20th, 2008 01:00

Rick,

Thanks for keeping with me!  I did appreciate that you were a regular person, but you seemed to have a very good grip on the Dell Scene.  You have got me going OK.  Many thanks for your time.

Perhaps it may assist the community to comment as follows on the AIO928 and running an OCR scan:

I do not know how things stand for Dell pre-installed AIO 928 software, but if you install yourself there is no automatic link between the AIO 928 software and the third party ScanSoft software provided by Dell.  To achieve this you must:

1. Open the AIO928 program
  2. Click on the "Scan to" icon
  3. Click on the "Scan to Application" icon
  4. In the right pane you should see apllications listed such as Word and Paint plus an entry which reads "Choose application ..."
  5. The latter is NOT telling you to select one of the applications listed but to locate an additional application; in this case ScanSoft.
  6. With the 928 powered up and ready click on "Scan".
  7. Do not be put off by the fact that the 928 then does a scan pre-view!
  8. Next click on "Scan".
  9. At last you should be presented with a screen headed "Open with" showing applications which are headed Recomened and others headed Other Programs and also a browse button.
  10. You need to browse to the location of the ScanSoft which will be in C:\program files\scansoft\OmniPageSE4 and double-click OmniPage.exe unless you installed it elsewhere.
  11. It is prudent then to close the AIO928 application and re-start it to run an OCR scan when you should now see the OmniPageSE4 as an Application to can scan to.
  12. OmniPage SE4 has a very large range of file formats you can save your OCR output to such as .doc and .pdf

Rick, for your own interest perhaps you do not know that on the firmware upgrade for the 928, the Dell download site gives the wrong instruction for installing the firmware under the button + Installation Instructions.  These are for a normal driver.  I happened to find the correction ones under + Additional Information which tell you how to extract the download to a memory stick and run the upgrade from the USB port on the printer.

Thank you again

Ian

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 20th, 2008 02:00

Ian,

Glad you get it working. Thanks for posting back. Your instructions are similar to this article...

Update list of applications to send scans to

Most drivers that need to be installed are usually done with the USB Cable connected to the printer and then you just double click on the zip file and it updates the printer. I cautiously put the printers model number there because I already saw someone make a post and they said that they installed the wrong firmware. It becomes a huge doorstop when that happens.

Please mark yur post as the solution, so that if anyone else does a search of the forums, they can see what you did to get everything up and running.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Rick

No Events found!