Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

17 Posts

November 6th, 2020 00:00

Ports Lost on X540/i350 RNDC (Part number 98493)

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could help with an issue we're having on some Intel X540/i350 RNDC's, specifically of part number 98493.

We have been finding of late that when updating these cards using the Dell firmware packages available on the website and the Dell firmware update utility in the Lifecycle controller that they take to not displaying 2 of the ports. The ports that keep getting lost are ports 1 & 2 which relate to the X540 portion of the card.

Just to explain the scale we are up to about 17 cards now that all display the same behaviour. We have tried to downgrade them using forced update ISO's created using the Dell Repository Manager as well as manually applying updates dating back several years. These updates seem to go through successfully but no matter what we do we cannot get all 4 ports back in the F2 device settings menu.

All 4 ports function OK in an Operating system, but we cannot view or interrogate any aspect of the 2 X540 ports on the card in the IDRAC, BIOS or Lifecycle controller.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and could you please suggest any fixes?

I've attached a couple of screenshots illustrating and I have a TSR file available which I can DM if you need. We've attempted this on several firmware revisions so please don't focus on the version in the screenshot in particular.

Thanks for your time. 

IMG_20201105_124429_4.jpgIMG_20201105_130221_6.jpg

17 Posts

November 6th, 2020 03:00

Readding the second photo as it appears to have been deleted from my post without comment.IMG_20201105_130221_6.jpg

17 Posts

November 6th, 2020 08:00

Hi @Dell-DylanJ 

Thanks for the reply, I've emailed the TSR over to you as requested.

Thanks for your time and support

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Hello,

I haven't heard of this being an issue before. I'll see if I can replicate internally. I'll send you a private message as well, so that I can try to get the TSR you mentioned.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

Just to confirm, it came in just a moment ago. I don't expect to have anything for you today, but hopefully I can have something for us by Monday or Tuesday.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

November 13th, 2020 07:00

Apologies for the delayed reply. I was out the beginning of the week. As for the NIC, it looks like I don't have that particular card in my lab inventory. I'll have to refer testing the firmware to a colleague.

5 Posts

April 6th, 2021 11:00

Has anybody found a solution to this? We are experiencing the same issue with at least one Ethernet 10G 4P X540/I350 rNDC. Running the firmware update from Windows reports "error occurred when updating a firmware module", but running it again shows the correct version.

Running the update from the iDRAC reports no errors, but does not fix this issue. Using the latest Platform Specific Bootable ISO also reports a failure.

The missing ports do show up in the "Hardware Inventory" section of the iDRAC, but not the "Firmware Inventory" section.

We would just RMA this card, but unfortunately it is out of warranty.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 6th, 2021 12:00

Hi Badnic,

I haven't seen a follow-up on this, but I can look around and see if I find anything since the last post. I'm more than happy to update the thread, if I can find anything of value.

5 Posts

April 14th, 2021 16:00

Running the same update a second time shows this.

Untitled2.png

5 Posts

April 14th, 2021 16:00

I noticed a new firmware update was released for this card. Here is the error I get when running it from Windows

Untitled.png

• 

2.3K Posts

April 16th, 2021 02:00

Hello,
On which server Do you use this card? What does the current firmware version of the X540 / i350 card appear to be? You can check firmware on iDRAC here server> properties> system inventory

Can you check the SR-IOV global enable section in the BIOS settings? via F2 System setup> system BIOS> integrated devices

5 Posts

April 19th, 2021 11:00

There should be two 10G ports listed as well. They do show up (and work) in the OS.

firmware.png

5 Posts

April 19th, 2021 11:00

Hello,

This is on an R720. SR-IOV Global is disabled, but enabling it does not solve this issue. Unfortunately, once the firmware update occurred, the the two 10G ports are no longer listed in System Inventory at all.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

April 20th, 2021 15:00

Hi Badnic,

Would you be able to send me a SupportAssist collection from your system? It would be ideal if we could get one with both versions of the firmware. The iDRAC should allow you to perform a firmware rollback from there, if the Windows file gives you trouble. If that's OK, I can send you my email address in a PM.

No Events found!