Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 21st, 2017 16:00

PowerEdge T30 RAID

Hello everyone.

I am needing a bit of help with a server PowerEdge T30 my bosses bought.

I read that this model comes with software raid courtesy of intel rapid storage technology, from what I researched software raid is not as good as hardware raid so we are planning of buying a hardware raid controller but I would like to be sure if it is possible for this model of server to function with this kind of controler and which would you recommend, PERC or another one?

In case it is not possible to install a hardware raid controler, how do I set up raid with the Intel software contraller? I looked everywhere and I did not find a good tutorial or guide.

By the way the place i work for is small, is it a good idea to use raid?

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 24th, 2017 10:00

Whether or not hardware RAID is better depends on the controller in question. The primary advantage to hardware RAID is that RAID management, R/W, logging is offloaded from the server hardware onto a hardware device. This is most beneficial when using parity-based RAID levels like RAID 5 and 6, or when there is intense I/O like when a drive is rebuilding or under regular operating I/O.

One feature of SOME (but not all) hardware RAID controllers is the ability to use battery-backed write cache. Any heavy I/O should be running on a controller with battery-backed cache.

The Intel RAID controller is NOT "hardware RAID". It uses system resources to manage RAID, does not have cache, and does not have logging capabilities for troubleshooting.

There are no other RAID controllers (hardware or software) validated for the T30. That doesn't mean a controller wouldn't work, but I wouldn't count on it in this system where resources will be fairly limited.

• 

8.6K Posts

July 21st, 2017 18:00

Hi,

There are not any validated hardware RAID controllers for the T30. This should be the guide for setting up the Intel software RAID. http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln155274/how-to-configure-raid-on-a-dell-desktop-pc?lang=en

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2017 06:00

I would just use mirroring in Windows Disk Management. Performance is better, it's more reliable, and it is more flexible.

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2017 08:00

Thanks for replying.

In which way windows disk management is better? in variuous places I have searched people says that hardware is the best way to raid, then from bios(in this case Intel) and then windows.

10 Posts

December 29th, 2017 13:00

Hardware Raid would work, Controllers are controllers.  Why isn't a Raid controller offered as a supported option for this model?  Because you want me to buy  the bigger one for $300 more, just so I can put a $300 raid card in it?  Pretty low tactic, from a marketing perspective IMHO, taking advantage of users who don't know nothin' 'bout Raid.  Heading over to HP and Lenovo to see what they gots.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 29th, 2017 14:00

People who "don't know nothin' 'bout [RAID]" aren't going to buy the next model for RAID. If they are in the market for a $400 server, they are going to buy it because it is $400, because 1) they don't know what they are doing and don't know what RAID is (or half the other stuff one would look for in a server), or 2) they do know what they are doing and know they are in that model because they need a "warm body" on the network and performance is not a consideration.

Controllers are controllers

And I'm not even sure what you are trying to say here. On the surface, I'd say that isn't true at all, but maybe you were saying something else.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 30th, 2017 06:00

"Hardware Raid would work, Controllers are controllers."

In a perfect world that is true, but not in this one. There are many variables in mobo to raid adapter compatibility.

"IMHO, taking advantage of users who don't know nothin' 'bout Raid. "

If a purchaser knows nothing about raid that is his fault, not Dell's or anyone else. People with deep knowledge of raid did not use the Krell's mind machine or a crystal ball to impart their knowledge, they worked hard to obtain it. If a purchaser is not willing to learn, that is his issue, they should hire someone with knowledge to purchase hardware. It cheaper then being a victim, with hardware issues after a purchase.

"Heading over to HP and Lenovo to see what they gots".... Lots of luck with your gots.

January 13th, 2018 19:00

So, and expounding on this question, if one were to install a LSI card in the t30, there's a chance it won't be recognized or if working slow the system down itself?

1 Message

March 6th, 2019 06:00

I have placed an LSI RAID controller in my Dell T30 and everything works. There are a few quirks when booting up but I never turn it off and I haven't had any issues yet. With that said, I'm looking for a Dell server with built-in-from-the-factory raid controller. In fact, my googling led me here so I am sharing my experience. I am looking for a entry level Dell server with stock Dell RAID controller. 

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

March 6th, 2019 07:00

Hello,

If you're looking for an entry level server with a hardware RAID controller, a T140 with a PERC H330 could be a really good choice. Are you looking for a tower or rack mount system? What kind of workload would the server be carrying? 

1 Message

August 27th, 2019 00:00

hi.

i fave the same problem, i need HW RAID controller for addtional 2 HDD in the T30 server.

can you specify, what LSI RAID model did you istalled?

thanks.

1 Message

July 8th, 2021 07:00

What is your setup?

No Events found!