Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

16 Posts

January 8th, 2019 06:00

Optiplex 7010 MT flashing amber light, won't turn on

Hi,

I have a 7010 MT and was adding an SSD to it last night.  Now it won't turn back on.  I get either a flashing amber light that is consistent in repetition or one that flashes twice quickly, then pause, then flashes twice quickly again---over and over.

I see a reset button of some sort on the PSU.  Is there a fix for this?  Thanks in advance, willing to try anything.

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

January 8th, 2019 09:00

January 8th, 2019 12:00

Thanks, I figured it out using this excellent video which allows you to test out power related "blinking" issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udGOe7LQJEI

I had a loose cable to power the CPU that must have jiggled loose as I installed the SSD.  I did try the RAM trick first that you linked to, apparently that's a fairly common one as well causing the same thing.  I'm literally celebrating that it was this easy, I thought I blew something up!  All good now and SSD installed.  Success!

1 Message

December 11th, 2022 11:00

Mine has been working fine for 3 years, now all of a sudden was flashing 2-3, which the manual says is "system board, memory or CPU failure."  I did as some here have suggested of a) replacing the CMOS battery, and b) rearranging all of the memory into the opposite slots.

Turned back on and it is working again, so far so good.  Weird, have no idea why this worked, but appreciate the good advice here.

346 Posts

December 12th, 2022 21:00

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem may exist. Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location, if applicable. Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

Regards,
John

No Events found!