Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2015 14:00

upgraded to windows 10 and can't connect to Netgear router

After upgrading to Windows 10, I get a limited connection to the router.  I have tried every suggesting I have seen but no fix.  I reverted back to 8.1 and all is ok.  Drivers are all up to date as far as I can tell.  The problem seems to be related to the default gateway or lack of it.  Resetting the router does no good.  My HP labtop running windows 8.1 works fine but my Dell Inspiron only gets limited access to the router. I need some help resolving the issu.

1.8K Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

I don't have a Dell, but I am having a similar problem with a Netgear WNDR4500 v1 router and an Intel I217-V ethernet adapter. Windows 10 won't recognise the router exists over the Ethernet connection, but it does work with a wifi dongle.

Adding this to assist, as I don't expect Dell to resolve my problem. :-)

Hi,

Not sure how much help I can give you since I don't know what system you have and whether it's considered Win10 compatible, but here is the link to the Windows 10 driver for the Intel 1217-V ethernet cards.  ((NOTE:  The link I provided is for the 64-bit version of Windows 10.  if you have the 32-bit version installed then simply change the OS dropdown list near the top of that page ))

I would also say that updating the firmware on that router would be your next step.  See if one or both of those changes help.   

If not, then remove all the ethernet drivers from your system, reboot, and see if Windows 10 has any innate drivers that may work.  Or let Windows Update search for, and download, a driver.  That has the highest chance of finding a compatible driver.

Hope this helps.

Todd

1 Message

December 12th, 2016 08:00

I have had the exact same problem. I bought a Dell Inspiron a year ago as a Christmas present for my father. On Christmas day after he opened the gift we had problems staying connected to the internet using my home wireless network. The computer works fine with my Verizon MiFi. After many discussions with Dell and Microsoft I got nowhere. Dell refuses to accept any responsibility and Microsoft denies there is a problem with Windows 10 and router compatibility.  

1.8K Posts

August 6th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

What model of Dell Inspiron are you using to try to connect to that Negear router?  What wireless card is in the laptop and what version of the driver is currently installed on the system?

As a general suggestion, since I don't know which model or card you're using, I would suggest updating the firmware on the router.  Different cards use different chipsets, and drivers, so it may simply be a case of updating the software in the router to work with the software and wireless card in the system.  Remember, communication between a system and a router is a two-way street and both sides need to have compatible software.

I don't know which model of Netgear router you're using but you should be able to go into the administration screen on it and have it check for a firmware update.  You can do a quick google search for the Netgear router user guide if you know the model number associated with it.  That should give you full instructions on how to update the router.

Let me know which Dell system model number, and wireless card you're using (along with current driver version) and I'll see what I can find specific to the card that may be of help as well.

Todd

1 Message

August 6th, 2015 15:00

I don't have a Dell, but I am having a similar problem with a Netgear WNDR4500 v1 router and an Intel I217-V ethernet adapter. Windows 10 won't recognise the router exists over the Ethernet connection, but it does work with a wifi dongle.

Adding this to assist, as I don't expect Dell to resolve my problem. :-)

4 Posts

August 7th, 2015 00:00

Todd, thanks for responding to my problem. My router is a N600 mod # = WNDR3700v3. It has the latest firmware installed (I already checked). = My computer is a Inspiron One 2330 Desktop. The network adaptor is Dell = Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz. The driver is a Atheros Comm. Driver = version 10.0.0.268. This info is from the devise manager. I have = updated all drivers listed on Dell website for windows 10 update. I = have Microsoft Bluetooth Device (personal area network) with driver = Product version 6.3.9600.17238 & Bluetooth Device (RFCOM Protocol TDI) = with drivers Product version 6.3.9600.17415 & Product version = 6.39600.17670. I also have a Qualcomm Aheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit = Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30) with driver product version 2.1.0.21. I = have read on internet a 4 step process to fix problem which involves = command prompt admin and entering reg delete = HKCRCLSID{988248F3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f then entering = netcfg =E2=80=93v =E2=80=93u dni_dne reboot and see if problem is = resolved. As I have reverted to windows 8.1, I have not tried that = suggestion. I hope this answered your questions, if not please let me = know.

Again, thanks for your response to my problem.

1.8K Posts

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

The Win10 driver we have for the Dell 1703 wireless card is version 10.0.0.318 A00.  This driver came out a little less than 2 weeks ago and I think it's an upgrade to the one you have.  

When / if you do upgrade again try that driver and see if it works.  I've seen the command prompt resolutions running around on various sites and they also seem to work.  But they're not really viable options for a lot of customers, so hopefully the driver I linked above will work for you.

By the way, you can go to our main Dell support page, input your service tag, and be redirected to pages for your Inspiron One 2330.   If you click on Drivers & Downloads, then change the OS selection to Win10, there are a few drivers for your system that are compatible with Windows 10.   The 2330 is one of the Dell systems we tested as compatible and have driver support for

Let me know how it goes.

Todd

4 Posts

August 7th, 2015 16:00

Todd, I have upgraded all drivers and downloaded all updates to windows 8.1 and reinstalled 10.  No problem with the wifi so far but have encountered internal power failture error problems.  The computer keeps shutting down.  I removed the AMD display device and now hopping that will help with the problem.  What do you know about this?

Thanks, Bob 

1.8K Posts

August 10th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

What I've heard is that the error is caused by an incompatible AMD / ATI driver.  Removing it, and allowing Windows Update to find a quality driver, is supposed to resolve the issue.  Which is what it sounds like you did.  Hopefully it will resolve your problem.  Let us know if it does come back.

Todd

1 Message

December 24th, 2016 12:00

Have a dell studio 8300 desktop.  After upgrading to windows 10, I can't access my router software to put in a password.  Router is WAP54G Linksys

No Events found!