Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 20th, 2004 01:00

peer to peer plus printer?

I have a Dimension 8400, Inspiron 600m, and a Toshiba laptop all running WinXP and all connecting to my broadband ISP through a Dell TrueMobile 2300 router.
I am trying to follow the Solution Center directions to set up a peer to peer network, and allow the laptops to see and use the A960 printer cabled to the 8400. A friend told me the laptops should be able to use the printer through their router connection. How do I make that happen?

I have found several icons and wizards that give directions on setting up a wireless network.

The Network Setup Wizard prompts me to select a description of my computer and network, but neither of the two descriptions say that my systems connect to the internet through a network hub.

Another help topic advises to use the IPX/SPX protocol for my peer to peer network using a network hub. It assumes that NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Coompatible Transport Protocol driver is available as an option on my system. I cannot find it on my system or on the Dell driver CD that came with the system.

All advice much appreciated.

fhorn2

2.5K Posts

September 20th, 2004 02:00

I haven't visited the Solution Centre so I'm not familiar with the instructions they are giving, but you could do it manually.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

IPX/SPX protocol can be added via your network connection's Properties, where a list of installed network components can be found (QoS, TCP/IP, etc.).

4 Posts

September 21st, 2004 02:00

Thanks, I found where IPX/SPX is already enabled.
BUT the Honeycutt article does not help. I am able to do the "Share this printer" action. but connecting the laptops on the network is where it bogs down. When I open the laptop WinXP Control Panel, click on Printer and Other Hardware, click on Add a Printer, the Add Printer Wizard automatically pops up. When I Browse for a printer on the network to connect to, nothing happens. When I enter the name of the printer on the network to connect to, I get an error message that the printer cannot be found or is "disconnected from the server". I'm stumped.

All suggestions gladly received,
fhorn2

28K Posts

September 21st, 2004 05:00

Make sure that file and printer sharing is enabled on the computer that is connected to the printer.  Make sure the printer is designated as a shared device.  If you have not yet upgraded to SP2, make sure that the Windows XP firewall is not enabled on any of the computers.  The pre-SP2 firewall will prevent all file and printer sharing.   If you have a third party firewall, make sure it is configured to allow local network traffic.  If you have SP2, make sure the Windows firewall is configured to allow local network traffic.  Once file and printer sharing is enabled, the printer is designated as a shared resource, and the firewall problems are solved, Windows XP should install the printer and it should be in the printers folder on all computers connected to the network.

Steve

No Events found!