Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2006 00:00

No Place on computer to hook up an ethernet cable?

Hi,
 Thanks for any help.  I just attempted to hook up a netgear router to my desk top PC to give my wireless laptop access to the internet..    While doing this I discovered there is No place on the back of the computer to run an Ethernet cable to the router.  My computer is a 8200 and is about 4 years old.  Is this too old for it to have a place to hook up an Ethernet cable?   What will I need to be able to set up the router?

Jill

2.5K Posts

No, it's not too old.  How is your broadband modem connected to the 8200?

If it doesn't come with an ethernet adapter (or network card), you can always open up the computer and add one, provided there is a free PCI slot remaining.

64 Posts

Hi,
 Thanks for your reply.   My broadband modem connects to the 8200 PC with a usb cable.   Does the way it connects make a difference?

I do have a spare PCI slot in which I could install an Ethernet adapter but not sure how to know which one is right for this PC.  Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again,
Jill

2.5K Posts

July 24th, 2006 01:00

Yes, it makes a difference.  The majority of routers do not support USB connection to modem or computers, so you have two choices:

1)  Install the network adapter on the 8200.  Share the Internet connection from the 8200 to the router using a crossover LAN cable (look just like a normal LAN cable with a couple of wires crossed, hence the name) and ICS on Windows:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126/

Note this setup requires the 8200 to be running for the notebook to connect to the Internet.  You will also need to configure the router to work behind the computer.  Example from Linksys: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=640; Netgear should be similar.

2)  If your modem supports ethernet connection, attach the router WAN port directly to the ethernet port and configure the router to access the Internet directly.  install the network adapter on 8200.  Your 8200 and notebook are then networked to the router either by LAN cable or wireless - the router will redistribute the Internet connection it has to each machine for you, there is no need to connect each computer to your ISP individually.  The advantage is that you don't need to keep the 8200 turned on for the notebook to access the Internet, only the modem and router.

If the modem lacks an ethernet port, try calling your ISP to replace it with one that does.

Network adapters for desktop computers don't cost a lot these days.  I can get one for under US$8, but of course some do cost a lot more (US$20 and up) and they differ mainly in their network performance, but for home use, any PCI slot compatible 10/100Mbps network adapter from your local computer stores that falls within your budget should be fine - even Netgear makes one:  http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FA311.php.  Happy shopping.

Message Edited by esquire on 07-24-200611:23 AM

64 Posts

July 24th, 2006 15:00

Hi,
 Just wanted to say thanks for taking your time to explan all my options to me.  Im off to get a PCI network card.  Sounds as though that will do the trick.  =)  

Thanks Again,
Jill

6 Posts

July 24th, 2006 19:00

You may have solved your problem already, but i had the same problem with my desktop. Dell sells converters -- i was able to purchase a USB converter that converts a USB port on your computer to an Ethernet. It cost approximatley $25  and i ordered it online. It saves the trouble of having to open your hard drive and install one internally. Much easier, trust me.

529 Posts

July 25th, 2006 12:00

@JND1993 wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for any help. I just attempted to hook up a netgear router to my desk top PC to give my wireless laptop access to the internet.. While doing this I discovered there is No place on the back of the computer to run an Ethernet cable to the router. My computer is a 8200 and is about 4 years old. Is this too old for it to have a place to hook up an Ethernet cable? What will I need to be able to set up the router?

Jill

Could you be a bit more clear?

Inspiron 8200 or Dimension 8200 - There's a HUGE difference, one is a desktop one is a laptop.

The I8200 should have built-in Ethernet, from what I recall it was not optional - every system had it. No idea about the Dimension 8200.

64 Posts

July 25th, 2006 13:00

Kpc588  wrote:

You may have solved your problem already, but i had the same problem with my desktop. Dell sells converters -- i was able to purchase a USB converter that converts a USB port on your computer to an Ethernet. It cost approximately $25  and i ordered it online. It saves the trouble of having to open your hard drive and install one internally. Much easier, trust me.

Hi KP,
 Thanks for your reply.  Actually I did not get out to get the parts I need yesterday so the problem is still not solved.   What your suggesting does sound easier.   Are USB converters compatible with most computers or do you need to get one designed just for your PC?

Jill

6 Posts

i ordered it from dell at the time because i really didn't know where else to look. im sure they have them other places though.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0193539 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

this is exactly what i got -- see if that sounds like what you need

6 Posts

haha, glad i could help -- hopefully it works!

64 Posts

Hi Kpc588,
 Thanks for the link.  I just went ahead and ordered it.    I do believe this is what I need.  If not you will hear from me LOL!  Just kidding. I do appreciate your help..

Jill

64 Posts

Entropy wrote:

Could you be a bit more clear?

Inspiron 8200 or Dimension 8200 - There's a HUGE difference, one is a desktop one is a laptop.

The I8200 should have built-in Ethernet, from what I recall it was not optional - every system had it. No idea about the Dimension 8200.

Hi Entropy,
 Thanks for your reply.  In answer to your question  I have a Dell 8200 Dimension Desk Top  I want to hook the router up to the to enable the Dell Inspriron Laptop that does have a wireless card installed to have interent access.     The trouble I ran into as I said above is that my 8200 Desk Top does not have a place on the computer to attach an Ethernet cable.   My broadband modem is attached to the desk top by way of USB.    

Jill

529 Posts

July 25th, 2006 15:00

The USB Ethernet adapter should work for you. :) Another option, if your system had free PCI slots, would have been a PCI adapter. They are somewhat more difficult to install, but offer significantly more performance and are often cheaper. :)
No Events found!