Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2005 23:00

How do I know my network is secure?

I just got my 600m today with a 2915 card and a Dell 2350 router.  I set up everything like the wizard showed me.  However, I don't really know that my network is secure and that no one else outside of my home can access it.  I chose to set up a secure network with the wizard when i was prompted to but how do I really know that it is secure?

158 Posts

June 15th, 2005 01:00

if you can access your network without a password(key) then is not secure

11 Posts

June 15th, 2005 02:00

Umm, how do I know wether or not I have a password to access the network?  You have to excuse me I am new to this whole game.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 15th, 2005 02:00

12K Posts

June 15th, 2005 12:00

Unplug it, turn it off, and bury it in a concrete vault 200 feet below ground.  It is now reasonably secure.

No network is secure, especially a wireless one, however, if you turn off SSID broadcasting, enable WPA, and enforce MAC filtering you have just eliminated yourself from the low hanging fruit crowd.

12K Posts

June 15th, 2005 16:00

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1277020,00.asp

The above article is a good one, but basically it sounds like you don't ahve the correct SSID name or password.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2005 16:00

Well, how do you do all of that.  Also, if I use the Intel/pro wireless connection to connect to the internt it will not let me.  It shows that I have excellent signal quaility but I cannot get online.

7.9K Posts

June 15th, 2005 22:00

some general points:  once your router is online, click start, click control panel, click classic view, double click network connections.  from there right-click your wireless network adapter and click view avialable networks.  your wireless network's SSID name should show up (other people's networks may show as well).  it will say the security level.

unsecured is bad -- anyone with a brain can probably get on your network and or see what your sending and receiving (like credit card number).

WEP is ok -- anyone with linux and a free program can see your data (possibly not in real time though).  once they have the key, they can also connect to your network.

WPA (with a preshared key) is relatively secure -- there are no huge weaknesses in the standard.  keys under 20 characters (and especially common words) and susceptible to reverse dictionary attacks.  Preferably use a random, 20 digit password with upper, lowercase, numbers, and special characters.  Write it down somewhere as you will not be able to remember it.

WPA2 (or WPA with AES) is probably more security than you need.  you still need a good preshared key.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2005 23:00

Ok, thank you very much.  Once I enable the router to have WPA how do I get my laptop to connect to my network or will It do it automatically?   What is a preshared key and how do I determine how to use it?

Message Edited by mr9iron on 06-15-2005 08:00 PM

7.9K Posts

June 16th, 2005 02:00

if you setup your router for WPA then you would have had to enter a key.   ideally you'd make that key 20 or so characters.   that said, whatever you entered, get to the 'view aviable networks' screen I described before and click connect.   it will prompt you for the key

12K Posts

June 16th, 2005 03:00

Just make sure the key you chooose is not a standard word found in the dictionary and inlcude upper case, specials characters (&^#$$%) and numbers.  A ten character password using these has over 2 trillion possibilities.

11 Posts

June 16th, 2005 04:00

Thanks guys, I got the WPA set up and running.  I appreciate all the help with this one.  I have one more question and I will leave you alone.  I had the intel/prowireless icon in my tray and since I wasn't using it I chose to hide it.  Well I want it back and I cannot find it when I try to customize my task bar.  Any ideas on how to get the icon back so that I can see the strength of my connection?

24 Posts

August 21st, 2005 01:00

If someone else used my wifi, wouldnt they show up on my network connections?

Also, if they used my wifi, would my info be compromised?

No Events found!