Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2015 15:00

Hosted Network with Windows 10 and Dell Wireless 1704 adapter

My network adapter is "Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz)".  After upgrading to Windows 10,  was able still to host a wireless network using:

> netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="MYSSID" key="MYKEY123" keyUsage=persistent

> netsh wlan start hosted network

Then I did clean install of Windows 10 and it no longer works.  Now after starting hosted network receive these messages:

The hosted network couldn’t be started.

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

I did some googling and found the command...

> netsh wlan show drivers

.... informed that the native windows Broadcom driver was installed, and "Hosted Network Support" was "No".   I'm nearly certain this is a driver issue.   I've downloaded the appropriate drivers for my system (XPS 8700 Desktop) from Dell's site (they're also Broadcom), but they also now show "Hosted Network Support" is "No".

Any idea how I can restore that functionality?   I know it is still possible with Windows 10 because it was working after the upgrade.   Knowing it is possible but not how to get back there is frustrating.

1 Message

June 21st, 2016 10:00

I also am having the same issue on a 9550. The problem is the updated Dell Windows 10 driver. Looking through related forums, it is NOT a hardware issue. If you have the old Windows 7 driver lying around, re-applying that will allow you to use Hosted Network. If, like me, your computer came with Windows 10, and you don't have the old driver. You are out of luck. DELL, I paid a lot for my top of the line laptop. The hardware supports hosted networks, Windows 10 supports hosted networks. Please supply us a working driver so we can setup our laptops as wifi hotspots. Thank you, Michael

1.8K Posts

September 8th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

My only suggestion would be to delete those current drivers (via Device Manager), reboot the system, and allow Windows to find native drivers for the card.  Those drivers may have the functionality you're looking for, and may be the drivers that were installed in the system when you did the upgrade.

Other than that, not sure what else I can suggest.  This isn't something we would normally support via the forum boards.  Dell Tech Support might be able to help you but they may also charge a fee to do so.

Let us know if this works.

Todd

1 Message

April 9th, 2016 23:00

Hello Atlneppie,

I am facing the same issue as well. Did you find any solution or workaround for this ?

Thank You,
Aakash

2 Posts

June 13th, 2016 02:00

I am also getting the same problem. My model is Inspiron 3543.

Did u get any solution?

2 Posts

June 21st, 2016 20:00

I also have same issue with Inspiron 3543. The problem is same. I have uninstalled latest wifi driver i.e. Dell 1704. After that install wifi driver naming Broadcom network adapter. this will resolve your issue

2 Posts

October 30th, 2016 13:00

I have the same model (9550) and same problem. Did some searching for Windows 7 x64 drivers for Dell Wireless 1830, I installed it manually. Cannot just run the installer, you have to pick from a list then click the "Have Disk" option. There are several ".inf" files to choose from, I had to look each one up individually, and it worked!

Here was the driver link:
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=936KN 

You want the "bcmpciedhd6.inf" file - if you open it via notepad, you'll see it says Dell Wireless deeper in the file.

Anywho, haven't enabled the Hosted Network just yet. Would be nice for Dell to put out a Windows 10 version.

Good Luck

UPDATE:
PLEASE take note the drivers before 1.566 can lead to blue screens. I recently had to manually change the driver back to 1.566 A5 (going through the same process as mentioned above). So far after doing that, the computer seems stable and bonus, the hosted network is still available, we shall see if there are any more bumps.

1 Message

February 1st, 2018 13:00

If hosted network could not be started or isn't supported anymore you can try using Wi-Fi Direct with apps like "WiFi Direct Access Point" that you find in Microsoft App Store of Windows 10.

1 Message

September 6th, 2019 05:00

I had a very similar problem (Dell XPS 15 9550 with Wireless 1830 adapter) ; kurios17's solution nearly did the job, however when connecting to the wifi hotspot from two mobile devices, it appeared that I could reach a local webserver on the DELL laptop but unfortunately, Internet connection (provided by local wired network) was not reachable from the mobile devices.

At least, after installing "old Windows 7 drivers" then installing the "most recent drivers available on DELL site" (according to kurios17), even if "netsh wlan show drivers" returned "hosted network support : No", I could enable wifi hotspot through Windows GUI (wifi hotspot settings).

After further research, this solution worked for me, in particular this section : 

===============================================

Setup your Ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter
* From your desktop, right-click on the network icon in task bar, and select “Network and Sharing Center” option.
* Click on the Change adapter settings link in the left side.
* Right-click on the network adapter which is connected to the internet., and select Properties from menu. Don’t do that with the adapter of your mobile hotspot and it is typically named “Local Area Connection [***]”.
* Click on the Sharing tab, Untick the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box, and click OK.
* Re-open the Properties of the same adapter, under Sharing tab, go to check “Allow other network users…”, select the mobile hotspot adapter for Home networking connection, and click OK button to apply changes.

===============================================

1 Message

December 19th, 2020 09:00

I experienced the same few days ago.

First, I tried to check whether my network adapter supports hosted network using this.

netsh wlan show driver | findstr Hosted

It showed "No", so tried updating the drivers. Still the result was same. Then tried the "No WIFI" app from Microsoft store as explained in How to setup a hotspot in Windows 10 article and it worked!

Other option was upgrading my network adapter to a hosted network supported one which I didn't want because above method was sufficient.

No Events found!