Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2006 19:00

Cannot get Baton Rouge Morning Advocate death notices

When I get the site and before I can read more than one obituary the screen switches over to "the best offer network". It does this on its own. How can I get rid of this pest? I can "close" it, but if I try again to get the obits, it does the same thing --over and over.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 20th, 2006 22:00

Most likely you have spyware on the PC and it's causing it.  Do a complete spyware scan with an up to date spyware scanning program such as teh free AdAware.  Also do a complete anitivirus scan with an up to date antivirus scanning program.

8 Posts

March 27th, 2006 01:00

Thanks to fireberd for the suggestion. The problem child seems to be "ShopNav" and it does not go away even when using Spybot. It seems to have "spied" on me and attached itself to the program which I view most often (The Baton Rouge Morning Advocate obituaries"). I have several knowledgable people working on it, but it is a tough nut to crack. If anyone has had the same problem with the same site, I'd love to hear if and how they rid themselves of it.

Curmad

4.4K Posts

April 1st, 2006 21:00

If you google for shopnav there are several sites offering instructions and/or a file for its removal.

For example Symantec:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/spyware.shopnav.html

Symantec Shopnav

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 04-01-2006 11:06 PM

No Events found!