Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2004 20:00

Can't connect to hotspots!

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place or not.

I have a Dell Insipirion 8600 and it does have the wireless card (I called and they verified) but for some reason I have not yet been able to connect wirelessly to the internet.  Not at school, not at home, not at friends homes or at other hotspot/wifi connection locales.

HELP!

What kind of settings should I have to be able to connect?

I know something in there is working because when I start my computer in a hotspot it'll pick up the signal (Wireless connection available), BUT I am unable to connect.  I tried repairing the connection as well, with no results). 

What is the 1394 (or something like that, I'm not on my comp. at the moment) in the Network Connections folder?  Does that have to be enabled or disabled?  the other Network connections that I have are the LAN and the Wireless. 

As far as computer knowledge, I'm above average, but I just can't figure this one out!

28K Posts

October 14th, 2004 21:00

When the wireless signal is picked up, does it show in the System Tray (lower right corner of the screen)?  If so, right click on the icon and select "Show Avalable Wireless Networks".  If you then select the wireless network it has identified and click on "Connect", what happens?

Steve

October 14th, 2004 23:00

Yes, I've done that.  The network shows up.  I click to connect and it tries then quits after a while. 

28K Posts

October 15th, 2004 00:00

See if running Winsockfix for Windows XP fixes the problem.  You can download it from:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Steve

4.4K Posts

October 15th, 2004 03:00

What is the 1394 (or something like that, I'm not on my comp. at the moment) in the Network Connections folder? Does that have to be enabled or disabled? the other Network connections that I have are the LAN and the Wireless.

americnjewl,

The IEEE 1394 (FireWire) adapter is only needed for devices like certain digital cameras and other devices that aren't really part of a local area network. So if you ran the XP "network wizard" and it created a "bridge" involving the IEEE 1394 device, you should delete the bridge that was created. If you don't have any "FireWire" devices, you can safely disable that device.

This Microsoft article describes XP's FireWire support.

Jim

October 15th, 2004 16:00

Jim:  Thanks, I didn't know if I needed that wenabled to connect.

Steve:  I'll try your suggestion when I get home from work tonight.

October 15th, 2004 22:00

Steve,

I tried the fix you reccomended, and it still doesn't seem to be working.... same problem as before with no changes.

28K Posts

October 16th, 2004 03:00

Do the networks you are trying to connect to have any security settings turned on?  Most schools, for example, likely have MAC address filtering, and you have to register your MAC address with the school IT department before you are allowed to connect. 

Steve

October 20th, 2004 22:00

No, they shouldn't have anything like that.  Like I said, I've tried at multiple locations as well, so I get the feeling it must not be on hotspot end, but something with MY computer.
No Events found!