Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2010 05:00

Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adaptor Drops Network Connection Randomly

Hi dell experts,

Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adaptor

Model No. F5D7050 v4

Computer: Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 32bit Home

Issue: Randomly drops connection to the internet/network.

Solution to temporaliry gain connection: Plugging it back in, sometimes switching usb port, sometimes rebooting.

Steps taken so far:

1) Asked windows to update the driver.

2) Been to the Belkin website, confirmed version of the driver is correct and up to date.

3) Uninstalled, Reinstalled.

Other Symptoms:

1) Sometimes windows 7 32bit Home gives error "belkin device could run faster...high speed usb 2.0..." something like this.

Other comments:

We also have a computer from MESH, with Windows 7, 32bit using the same adaptor without fault.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue, it has been going on for a year now.

Thanks,

James & Jessica

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 4th, 2010 05:00

Melon1,

Without knowing which model of Dell Inspiron you have, I'm guessing it's a laptop. Dell used to call their desktops Dimensions and their laptops Inspirons but that has changed enough to confuse us.

Second, we are not experts here, just Dell users, like you and me.

Your inspiron, was this upgraded to Windows 7 or purchased with Windows 7? If upgraded, did you install the notebook/desktop utility and the chipset drivers first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, did you try installing the Vista(or XP) drivers in the Compatibility mode?

I use these tweaks on all the computers on my network, even all the network devices.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager)

Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign.

Go to each USB Root Hub and right click on it, left click properties, left click power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart your computer.

--------------------------------------

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

2 Posts

September 4th, 2010 07:00

Hi Rick, thanks for the prompt reply.

Sorry, this is a desktop machine (Inspiron Desktop 545MT) - upgraded from windows vista. I cant remember how I uninstalled the drivers during the upgrade.. it was over a year ago. How could I find out if I am missing something important?

I had previously unchecked the power management option for the root hubs - but they seem to have returned. Why would this be?

I went to do the same for the wireless adapter, but there was no power management tab. Is this a problem?

Thanks & Regards, James & Jessica

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 4th, 2010 17:00

melon1,

Anytime the chipset drivers are upgraded, it will give you the defaults for power management. If you're not sure you installed the drivers, then try installing the desktop utility and the chipset drivers, just to make sure. Then look in the device manager and see if everything looks ok. After you install those, then do the power management one last time.

Have you updated the firmware in the Belkin?

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11.

Rick

No Events found!