Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2009 12:00

Alltel USB wireless internet issues on Desktop vs Laptop Both Dell's

Ok, my brother has Alltel USB cellular card that you plug in and get EVDO internet because thats the only broadband choice he has. His daughters Inspiron Laptop works fab using this. Plenty fast. He has a real old desktop Compaq, that crawls using that so I told him to bring the USB card over and try it on my Dell 4700.

I consider the 4700 to be a pretty nice computer, but after we installed it we got 5 bars (the Cell tower is within eyesight) got EVDO sig, but the speed is poor. Watching the same Youtube video, there were no pauses using the laptop, but it repeatedly buffered when using the 4700 (using the Network card). When the 4700 was on my DSL connection there are no pauses, so logically it dont seem to be a computer/processor/RAM issue. Infact the 4700 has a P4 2.8ghz, 3 gig of RAM.

Why would the cellular connection work with the Inspiron at about 2x - 3x faster than when connected to the 4700.

Inquiring minds want to know.

June 7th, 2009 15:00

Update, not sure of this but my Dell 4700 has  USB 2.0 and the Inspiron has an enhanced USB 2.0 .

So we think this is the difference, and there are PCI cards to upgrade a desktop computer to enhanced usb for not a lot of money.

Its worth a try, so he is ordering one.

Will report later.

June 22nd, 2009 19:00

The Dell 4700 has enhansed USB 2.0, but it may be only on the back usb ports. The solution was to connect the USB device on the rear, and the connection works great.

If you have this type of issue, slow cell speeds, first check to see if you have a high speed USB controller, (enhanced) and try the rear usb ports.

Also make sure the High Speed internet signal is available in your area (EVDO) in Alltel.

No Events found!