Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

O

1 Message

August 17th, 2021 04:00

S3422DWG, how to increase resolution to native resolution?

Hi -

I have recently purchased a new Dell monitor S3422DWG 34" that supports various ultrawide resolutions as shown below:

oooxxi123_0-1629198894479.png

However, when I connect this monitor to my two laptops and even X-Box, I am unable to select any resolution higher than 1920x1080 (60 Hz). For additional information:

• Laptop 1 is a Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 with a mDP connection. I am currently using the HDMI cable connected to the Monitor, and then connected to a HDMI to mDP adapter into my laptop. Laptop 1 is running on an Intel UHD Graphics 620 card
  • Laptop 2 is a Lenovo Thinkpad x13 Laptop with a HDMI connection, which can be connected directly to the monitor. Laptop 2 is running on an Internal UHD Graphics card
  • Both of these laptops (and their corresponding graphics card) are able to output a higher resolution than what is selected (1920x1080)
  • I have recently bought a DP to HDMI adaptor, so that I can test the monitor's DP connection and see if I could increase the resolution - but no luck with both laptops.

In addition to the above, I have also tried the following:

• Reaching out to Dell support who have spent 1 week and given me a blanket statement to "reach out to my laptop manufacturer for further support"
  • Updating my drivers on both computers (drivers from the laptop manufacturer, e.g. Microsoft and Lenovo, as well as the Dell specific drivers for this monitor)
  • Clearing my display cache, uninstalling existing drivers and reinstalling latest display drivers
  • Going to Advanced Display Properties and selecting the appropriate resolution and refresh rate (it caps at 1920x1080 at 60hz)
  • Adding custom resolution via Intel Graphics Command Center (tells me "Mode not supported" even though on the very next tab as shown in the picture above I am able to see the exact mode I am setting up)

What would be the best course of action to solve this issue? I do not want to continue purchasing adapter cords or even a docking station if it will not solve the problem. 

I'm honestly surprised that I have had to go to these lengths to set up this ultrawide monitor.

Thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 17th, 2021 11:00

@oooxxi123  Last note: Once you set up the Surface Laptop 2 so that it can use native DisplayPort signalling, you'll be able to run the display at its native resolution, but you may not also be able to hit its max refresh rate of 144 Hz.  That would require the Surface Laptop 2 to support DisplayPort 1.4, and it may only support DisplayPort 1.2.  I'm not sure.  And I'm not sure what the max refresh rate will be on DP 1.2 at 3440x1440 because I haven't done the math.  I know that 2560x1440 144 Hz is possible on DP 1.2, but I'm not sure about 3440x1440.  I would expect you'd be able to get at least 100 Hz since the display indicates that's possible over its HDMI 2.0 input, so a signal that starts off as DP 1.2 should be able to at least match that.

Anyhow, as a general tip, I've seen from experience that users tend to prefer using HDMI, I guess because it's familiar to them from TVs and such.  But when it comes to PCs and associated peripherals, try to use DisplayPort whenever possible, because for pretty much any device that supports both standards, it will perform at least as well and sometimes better when it's using DisplayPort, again because the DisplayPort standard of any given time was superior to the HDMI standard at the time.  You can see this with your ThinkPad X13.  Its USB-C port uses DisplayPort 1.2 internally, which can run up to 4K 60 Hz (a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter contains an active signal converter chip to switch that over to HDMI), whereas its HDMI output only supports 4K 30 Hz.  And in fact even your own display has specs indicating that it can run up to 144 Hz on DP (1.4), but only 100 Hz on HDMI (2.0).

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@oooxxi123  One additional note.  You said you bought a DP to HDMI adapter to test the display's DP input.  That suggests that you planned to connect the HDMI output to the DP input?  That won't work, for reasons I've explained in this post.  But if you get a MiniDP to DP cable for the Surface and a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable for the X13, you'll be able to run the display's native resolution from both systems and keep both of them connected simultaneously.  Can't help you with the Xbox if it doesn't support ultra-wide resolutions, though.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@oooxxi123 For the Xbox, you didn't specify what exact generation you have.  I'm guessing it's not the original Xbox that launched in 2001.  But I'm not sure any Xbox models support ultra-wide resolutions at all.

For the Surface Laptop 2, using a typical passive Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI setup means the Mini-DP output has to rely on "Dual Mode DisplayPort", which is the ability of a DisplayPort-based output to switch to native HDMI signalling.  But many DisplayPort outputs have lower maximum resolutions when operating in native HDMI mode, partly because the HDMI standard has always lagged behind the DisplayPort standard in terms of max capabilities at any given time.  (HDMI 2.1 is an exception, but DisplayPort 2.0 is arriving shortly.)  So get a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable for that.

For the ThinkPad X13, its specs indicate that its HDMI output only supports HDMI 1.4, which only supports up to 2560x1440 60 Hz or 4K 30 Hz.  You need HDMI 2.0 to run that display's native setup over HDMI.  The X13 also has a USB-C output that supports video output though, so you could use a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter there.  You could also use USB-C to DisplayPort, but your display only has one DP input.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2021 01:00

Hi @oooxxi123 and @jphughan 

Did you end up getting this solved?

I have EXACTLY the same problem. I have a Thinkpad x13 yoga gen 1 which I am connecting to the Dell S3422DWG (HDMI to HDMI at the moment). When I select resolution, the most I can select for both display and monitor is 1920x1080. 

From your comments above @jphughan it sounds like with this setup I should be able to get at least 2560x1440 as an option.

Any ideas as to where I am going wrong?? Appreciate any assistance. Very basic knowledge here.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 3rd, 2021 10:00

@wonsgirl The X13 Gen 1 specs indicate that its HDMI output supports 1.4b, so yes I would expect 2560x1440 to be an option. But I don’t have any experience with that display, so maybe there’s something going on there — and in any case even 2560x1440 wouldn’t be your display’s native resolution, which HDMI 1.4 wouldn’t run. If you’re willing to try an alternative setup, I’d suggest getting a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, since that system has two USB-C ports and both support video output using DisplayPort 1.2, which would support up to 4K 60 Hz.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2021 11:00

I also have this problem.  Recently purchased S3422DWG.

It is not the laptop.  I have a new Lenovo X1 Yoga that worked flawlessly when I connected a S2721DGF to it.  Able to display natively at 2560x1440 on that monitor.

This monitor should be great for WFH but not if we can't get the advertised resolution.  Dell, please look into this.

2 Posts

September 8th, 2021 16:00

To add to this, I just tested the monitor with a USB-C dock.  I was able to get the max resolution of 3440x1440 with the monitor connected using DP to dock.

Still, we should be able to get the native resolution without resorting to the added expense of a dock.  Since this monitor only has one DP, I now have to use HDMI to connect to my gaming PC.  Not preferable because of HDMI's lower refresh rate (100 Hz vs. 144 Hz for DP).

1 Message

October 1st, 2021 02:00

I am having the same issue with this monitor. Buying such a high end monitor from Dell this is the last thing you expect from. 

I had the other model i.e. S3422DW  which is the one with 100Hz config and it works perfectly fine. I have raised this with Dell technical support lets see what they come up with  to resolve this.

Its working fine with USB C adapter but the max you can get from HDMI is 1920x1080

Not happy so far with this product 

1 Message

October 12th, 2021 22:00

I have the same problem with HDMI to HDMI connection. I can confirm that the problem is not with my laptop, as the laptop works with the maximum resolution when connected to an LG 34" curve monitor.  Will have to return the monitor. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 2nd, 2021 10:00

If using a PC HDMI 1.4 out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> S3422DWG HDMI 2.0 in port, open the S3422DWG Menu--> Display. Change Smart HDR from Desktop to Off. Now check the resolutions to see if one higher than 1920x1080 60Hz appears.

November 3rd, 2021 04:00

Hello,

I have the same problem on a S3422DWG 1 day old.

Thru DP port all is ok 3440X1440 at 144Hz

However on any of the 2 HDMI ports i can only get 2560X1440. I have tried this with 4 laptops including Dell 7410, 7390, Lenovo carbon with Intel 620 and a Macbook pro  plus my pc with GeForce 1060 6Gb.

You were right disabling Smart HDR it has increased the resolution from 1920X1080 to 2560X1440 but i can not get it above that.

I have used 4 different HDMI cables including one Dell original cable.

All the laptops and my pc with all the cables work fine on my old 27inch LG monitor. Full 4k resolution with no issues.

This one gets 4k resolution only on the Display Port.

Any other ideas that do not involve: NEW PC, New Cable, Reinstall drives or change screen as i've done all of this already?

Thank you

Edward

November 3rd, 2021 05:00

I will try to check with a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable and see if this works on the Lenovo. Might be he HDMI 1.4 on the device and the 2.0 on the monitor

Thank you

Edward

1 Message

November 7th, 2021 03:00

Hello,

I got my S3422DWG some days ago and do have the same problem as well. Tested it via HDMI with two different laptops; I can only get 1920x1080 with Smart HDR enabled, without Smart HDR I can set it to 2560x1440. One of these laptops is normally connected to a LG 34" monitor which works via HDMI without any issues. I now ordered a DP cable for my Surface Pro 4 and I can finally set resolution to 3440x1440. With DP to HDMI which I normally use only FullHD is possible.

I now ordered a USB Type C to DP cable to test the other laptop as well. But in general thats not very satisfying that I am not able to use the HDMI ports

I tried the Dell Software and drivers but with no luck.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2021 03:00

Hello,

I have the same problem with this model.
I tried 2 different Laptops from DELL and Lenovo (both Intel Graphics) on 3 different 1440p displays using HDMI. No Problem. Windows 10 sets the correct resolution automatically. 
Only with my new DELL monitor I get the wrong resolution

I set 3440 x 1440 as  a custom resolution in the Intel Graphic Software. (30 FPS). Disconnected and connected the display again. Eventually Windows detected the correct resolution but the aspect radio was wrong. Afterwards I set the resolution using the Device Manager. Everything looks ok now but it’s a pain.

I am going to call support tomorrow. Maybe there a firmware update in the queue. Otherwise I will send the display back.

November 8th, 2021 01:00

If you have multiple input like i have 3 devices you will need USB-C to HDMI cable.

This is the only way to get 4k and correct aspect ratio.

The expiration is: 

Laptops have HDMI 1.4 and Monitor has HDMI 2.0 only.

This is why you need a USB-C to HDMI. I know very frustrating but this is how they build it.

No Events found!