Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2021 00:00

S3422DW, random high pitched noise

Hi all,

I have two S3422DW monitors that I use for work daily. At random times it begins emitting a very high pitched noise and the only way to make it stop is to switch off the monitor and when turning it back on the sound it gone.

Both monitors behave in the same way. How can I identify is this is a software or hardware issue? Are there any fixes available?

Both monitors are under 6 months old.

Thanks,
Jeff

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

January 4th, 2022 11:00

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 3rd, 2021 06:00

I would start the troubleshooting by disconnecting the second S3422DW and all of its cabling from the PC. Then test the first S3422DW by itself. When done testing, replace the single first S3422DW with the second S3422DW and retest. In these single monitor setups, does the random high pitched noise happen?

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2021 15:00

Each monitor is located in a different room and I only use them individually with my windows 10 laptop. My partner uses the other monitor with a different windows 10 laptop and experiences the same issue. We have tried swapping monitors but this hasn't made any difference.

November 5th, 2021 10:00

I have the same problem with the same monitor, since new (one month old now), so would be interested to know what the solution is too...

I've tried several HDMI and Displayport cables. I can stop the noise by adjusting the volume control in Windows taskbar but the noise comes back again after a while.

3 Posts

November 7th, 2021 23:00

What else I can attempt to resolve the issue with each of my monitors as they are only used independently?

Thanks,
Jeff

1 Message

November 8th, 2021 21:00

I have the same problem with my newly bought S3422DW. I haven't successfully find any solution or explanation on this issue on Google. 

I'm afraid I'm going to return the monitor to DELL and request a refund.

1 Message

November 19th, 2021 22:00

I have the same problem. Dell has sent me a 2 new monitors and each of them has the same issue. I've tried to use low frequency protection in the sound settings, however that did not help. I'm afraid I'm going to return the monitor to DELL and request a refund.

Update = I've tried the monitor at my parents house with another computer and I didn't have this high pitched noise. So, I think that problem might be related either to my computers or some local setting. It's really strange and hard to understand.

1 Message

November 28th, 2021 14:00

I have also had the same problem with my S3422DW (in Australia) which is only a few months old. Problem started within a month.

The only solution I've found to reduce the frequency of the noise occurring is to decrease the brightness, but that is not ideal.

I'm also going to be contacting Dell about a replacement or refund

December 6th, 2021 12:00

Thank you for posting this. It is still unresolved as of 12/6/2021. I have the same display. I run it in its native resolution of 3,440 x 1,440. I am having this issue where at random times, the display emits a high pitched "whine", like a dog whistle that a human can hear. I recorded it. It is extremely annoying to the point where it distracts from my work. At first, I thought maybe it was a cable issue. I have confirmed this issue both with HDMI and Display Port cables. Then I attempted to change the frequency from 60-100 Hz. Then I factory reset the display (thinking maybe a combination of brightness, contrast, sharpness, or audio level caused the issue). I confirmed this occurs with Mac OS, Windows 11, and Windows 10. I have the latest drivers from Dell and all systems are up to speed with System Updates. I'm unable to predict when this will occur nor can I determine why it does. I contacted Dell as this display is only 1 week old and they have issued a replacement. I will post back here on this thread if the replacement device emits the same issue. I hope it is a random occurrence because the display is beautiful, the speakers pretty good, and I don't want to have to return it entirely and start my search for a display replacement all over.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2021 07:00

Hi,

Exactly same problem here with a just buy one.

Any solution found since last message ?

Can an exchange improve that or all the series is definitively affected ?

Thanks,

Remy

December 8th, 2021 11:00

I had the display for a couple of days. The pitch was so high that it gave me a headache. I contacted customer support and I'm typing this reply on my replacement display. The replacement appeared to be a return as the stand was scratched, but so far, I haven't heard anything near what the original display would present (when it happened, which is not 100% of the time). Both displays were manufactured in September 2021 and both are using firmware M3C101. I have concluded it is not a cable problem, as I've tried various refresh rates, HDMI & Display Port cables, OS, and PCs. I also attempted to ensure that the electric connection was secure since I'm running off a power strip. I'm still in testing phase right now. Heard a slight "whine" earlier, but nothing remotely close to what I was getting. Will post back after a day or two of evaluation. Hoping it is resolved because I really love the display.

1 Message

December 8th, 2021 12:00

Same problem here (France)

December 8th, 2021 12:00

I received a replacement monitor a few week's ago and it has the same noise issue as the fiirst one.

For me, the noise only occurs when the speakers are on standby. It appears to happen randomly but it sometimes follows after receving an Outlook or Teams notification. I can usually stop the noise by adjusting the sound volume on the Windows taskbar, or by forcing another Windows notification sound.

The first unit was manufactured in April 2021, the second in June 2021 (firmware version M3C101). If the September 2021 units and later still have the same issue, then surely this is a hardware fault with the speakers or something in the monitor's internals that's outputting to the speakers?

The display and overall quality is great but I really wanted integrated speakers to minimise clutter, so I'm in two minds about trying another replacement or just living with this hardware fault.

December 14th, 2021 12:00

Regrettably, this error is present on my replacement display as well. As B1scuit Boy stated above, the issue is only resolved by adjusting the volume indicator in the system tray and forcing another sound (notification sound). Then it goes away. It will reappear at random times as that solution is only temporary. If you mute the device altogether there is no issue. I initially thought it was a "whine" or high pitched noise that was electrical in the display itself. That is not the case, but is 100% related to the built-in speakers of this display. The display is gorgeous but the speaker issue is problematic and will prevent me from keeping the display unless a firmware solution can be found.

1 Message

December 19th, 2021 19:00

I'm encountering the same issue (high pitch electronic whistle sound, seemingly at random) with this monitor. I have tried connecting it with different HDMI cables (incl. premium gold-plated ones), and with a MacBook and 2 different PCs. Native resolution, with all current Dell drivers installed. The issue seems to be electronic "noise" via the built-in speakers, as I can stop the sound by muting the speakers with the hardware controls. (NB: the issue doesn't stop if you simply mute via OS/input - it only stops via disabling the sound with the buttons on bottom right corner of the monitor). Turning it off and restarting provides temporary relief from the problem. Keen to seek a permanent resolution, as this is very annoying/disruptive problem on such a premium display.

Edit: Brand new display, this issue started within first day of use.

No Events found!