Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 16th, 2008 00:00

High pitched noises from LCD (when turned off)

Hi,

I have a brand new Dell E228WFP that seems to be making a high pitched squeal when it is off but still plugged in. The sound is quiet and unobvious at first, but after leaving the screen off for a while it gets loud enough to be irritating.

When I put my computer into Sleep mode (Windows Vista) just now, I was able to immediately reproduce the louder noise, and it's still very annoying. The noise happens when the LCD is in standby mode (orange light) and when off.

Furthermore, when the monitor is on (and showing an image), putting my head over the screen I can hear a buzzing sound, much like the sound of a dying CRT we once had at work.

Is something wrong with my LCD's power supply or something? It's supposed to be brand new, but for some reason Dell included an obviously used/old DVI cable and made it look like they shoved in the manuals/documentation as an afterthought. The screen looks fine, aside from a presumably normal brown hue.

Thank you!

Message Edited by jhonkzilla on 04-15-2008 06:42 PM

4.4K Posts

April 16th, 2008 07:00

I believe you have a valid warranty claim and should pursue it.  This is not normal behaviour, particularly when turned off. Suggest you contact tech support for replacement.  As your unit is brand new, request a brand new unit and not a refurbished unit if at all possible.

April 16th, 2008 22:00

The squealing sound seems to come and go at times, as it did not make the noise right now when I returned to the computer, but I am still a little afraid it means this new monitor will die a premature death.

Thanks for the confirmation, but do you know what their policy is on making brand new replacements? This LCD was part of a PC purchase, in case that matters at all. I'll try and email Dell support soon.

Thanks again!

Message Edited by jhonkzilla on 04-16-2008 04:47 PM
Update:  I contacted Dell and they're going to ship a "new" replacement unit.  Looks like you were right.
Message Edited by jhonkzilla on 04-16-2008 10:32 PM

4.4K Posts

April 17th, 2008 08:00

Best of luck.  :smileyhappy:

Community Manager

• 

54.7K Posts

April 23rd, 2008 11:00

jhonkzilla,

Please provide me with the following information in a private message so I can check the warranty status -
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Order number and/or Service tag number:
20 digit PPID number on the back of the monitor:
Reason: High pitched noises from LCD (when turned off)
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 04-23-2008 07:20 AM
No Events found!