Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

March 29th, 2019 05:00

WDS and Windows 10 UEFI mode Error "No Bootable Device"

Hi We are trying to install Windows 10 OS UEFI mode through WDS pxe boot, but we are getting error No bootable device error on Dell Assistant tool. the same image working through usb deployment in UEFI. In DHCP previously configured BIOS and UEFI, but configured only for UEFI. We have tried enable / disable "secure boot", enable / disable "Enable Legacy Option ROM's", but no luck The disk also set to GPT. the model dell 3490 and SSD hard disk. Can you please suggest for the same. Regards, Manikandan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 29th, 2019 06:00

Make sure the PXE boot itself is occurring in UEFI mode. To do that, go to the NIC Settings in the BIOS and check the “Enable UEFI Network Stack” option. Then when you choose to boot from the network using the F12 boot menu, make sure you choose the option under the UEFI section. And actually, disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy Option ROMs is only going to make this more difficult for you. If you want to run Windows in UEFI mode, then you don’t need to do that, and setting those options that way just enabled legacy booting options that you don’t want. Set Secure Boot back to enabled, which will force you to disable Legacy Option ROMs.

4 Posts

March 30th, 2019 00:00

Hi,

Already we checked "Enable UEFI Network Stack", i tried both enable/ disable Secure boot, but no luck. 

i mentioned it's SSD (my mistake), but it's SATA.

When we boot the machine, we are selecting Onboard NIC (IPV4) under UEFI, after that loading DELL Support Assist and getting the Error "No Bootable Device Found"

Regards,

Manikandan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 30th, 2019 07:00

@smanif1 wrote:

Hi,

Already we checked "Enable UEFI Network Stack", i tried both enable/ disable Secure boot, but no luck. 

i mentioned it's SSD (my mistake), but it's SATA.

When we boot the machine, we are selecting Onboard NIC (IPV4) under UEFI, after that loading DELL Support Assist and getting the Error "No Bootable Device Found"

Regards,

Manikandan

Ok, Dell SupportAssist is only looking at local devices when it reports that, but the fact that you're ending up in Dell SupportAssist even after specifically choosing network booting means that your system failed to PXE boot from the network -- so that's what you need to focus on.  Have you confirmed that the boot image you're hosting on WDS is running a new enough version of WinPE to support UEFI booting?  Have you successfully booted any other systems in UEFI mode from that WDS server?  If your WDS server properties are configured to require the user to press F12 to continue with PXE booting, is it possible that that's happening so quickly on this system that you're missing it, thereby causing the system to abort?  You could change that setting on the WDS server to "Always continue PXE boot" or "Continue unless the user presses ESC" and then restart the WDS service on the server.  Lastly, are you running the latest BIOS/firmware for that system?

4 Posts

April 1st, 2019 04:00

Hi jphughan, Thanks for your reply. Please find my comments below. Have you confirmed that the boot image you're hosting on WDS is running a new enough version of WinPE to support UEFI booting? Where to check ? Have you successfully booted any other systems in UEFI mode from that WDS server? no, this is the first machine we are trying in UEFI Mode. If your WDS server properties are configured to require the user to press F12 to continue with PXE booting, is it possible that that's happening so quickly on this system that you're missing it, thereby causing the system to abort? we don't know. You could change that setting on the WDS server to "Always continue PXE boot" or "Continue unless the user presses ESC" and then restart the WDS service on the server. we will check and confirm. no luck Lastly, are you running the latest BIOS/firmware for that system? Yes, latest version updated. Regards, Manikandan

4 Posts

April 1st, 2019 06:00

Hi jphughan, I have checked the logs in WDS and below the log, i think it's requesting for x86 architecture. The following client booted from PXE: Client Architecture:4 we configured only for 64 bit in DHCP and WDS server, but I don't know why it's trying for x86 OS. Can you please suggest where to change / check. Thanks, Manikandan

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 1st, 2019 07:00

In addition to my reply above, if you're running DHCP on a Windows Server, you might this guide helpful.  In my environment, DHCP is provided by another non-Windows device, and the WDS server and all clients are on the same subnet, so we don't have to configure any DHCP options anywhere.  Instead, the WDS server is configured to listen for DHCP traffic and respond to clients that are attempting to PXE boot, so that might be why things are more automatic here.  In our WDS server properties under the DHCP tab, both of the options there are unchecked because of how we've deployed our solution.  However, if you're running DHCP Server on the same server that you're using for WDS, you should be able to check both of the options under that tab so that WDS auto-configures DHCP.  But if you're running DHCP Server on some other Windows server, or running a non-Microsoft DHCP server on the WDS server, or your WDS server isn't on the same subnet as all clients, then you will likely have to configure the options mentioned in that guide manually on the DHCP server.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 1st, 2019 07:00

I'm hosting only 64-bit boot images and install images on my WDS server and I don't have any problem UEFI booting my systems, so I don't think 32-bit vs. 64-bit is your issue.  On your WDS server under the Boot Images folder (NOT Install Images!), what is the OS Version shown for the boot image you're trying to use to start these systems into a deployment environment in order to push the install image to them?  If it's older than 6.2, then that boot image wouldn't support UEFI booting, in which case you'd need to import a boot image built from a newer Windows kernel, such as by importing the Boot.wim file from recent Windows 10 installation media.  If that's not the issue, take a look at your WDS server properties under the Boot tab.  I personally don't specify a default image for any of the options there because I want to see the menu that allows me to choose the one I want, so if you have defaults specified there, you might want to try removing them at least temporarily.  If that doesn't help though, I didn't really intend to go through a detailed review of your WDS implementation over forum posts.  I sort of expected you to be familiar with WDS overall.

1 Message

February 28th, 2023 10:00

I was going crazy trying to figure this out and the link you recommended helped. Thanks! 3 years later and it still helping us out! 

No Events found!