Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

L

3 Posts

May 26th, 2020 07:00

No Audio Output Device Installed

Morning all. I'm hoping someone out there will be able to assist me. i upgraded to windows 10 a while ago. All of a sudden my sound does not work anymore. i have a Dell Lattitude 3540

Upon further investigation I found the speaker icon is shown with a Red "X", and when I hover the mouse over it,  a message of "No Audio Output Device Installed" would appear. T As far as I'm aware there's been no software installed that would have lead to this problem.

Working with computers a lot, I know my way around, so I then went to Device Manager to look for any faults. I looked under the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" and found only Bluetooth Audio was listed, which I thought was a little strange.However under the "System Devices" section I found that the Realtek High Definition Audio Device had a yellow exclamation mark over it. Selecting it revealed it had failed to start (Code 10). Suspecting this was the root of my problem, I tried to Update the Driver. After a while of checking online, the message received back informed me that the installed driver was up to date, therefore it couldn't be updated, not what I wanted to hear! 

I've asked Google for other solutions, most of which amounts to reinstalling the sound driver, which I've tried but nothing seems to work. As a last resort I ran the Diagnostic tool from the Bios Menu, and everything passes correctly, yet I still have no sound from the laptop speakers.

PLease advise 

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

May 26th, 2020 15:00

Go online by connecting an Ethernet cable to your router and try to get an updated chipset driver.  You do this by going into Device Manager and right-clicking Intel chipset and selecting Update Driver.

1 Message

May 16th, 2021 12:00

I have a Latitude 5580 with Windows 10 that was upgraded to 20H2 a while ago.  During last week there was an update 2021-5 for something on 20H2 that failed.  Now there is a Rex X on the little speaker icon in the notification area.

Like the original poster, I have followed the adivise from various people on the Internet who suggested to re-install various drivers.  I even tried to repair Windows 10 20H2 from a new ISO.  The red X did not go away.

I then tried to do a fresh install, using a different hard drive, of Windows 10 20H2 from the ISO and Voilà, the red X was gone and all sound systems worked.  Unfortunately that is not a real solution because I have some programs fo which I do not have the original installation media or license keys.  I need to repair this "bleeping" computer

I ran a Full Diagnostic from Dell's support site and all Audio systems passed as working.  But the Rex X is still there and my sound system does not work

PLEASE HELP

• 

16.9K Posts

October 11th, 2023 10:49

Issue was resolve after Dell Agent took remote access of users computer 

No Events found!