Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

April 1st, 2021 11:00

Lat 5410 USB C port not Connecting to ASUS Monitor

Hi All - I'm attempting to use an ASUS monitor with my 5410 which is connected using a DVI cord with a USB C adapter.  I cannot use a different port such as HDMI as those are taken up by different monitors. 

When I connect the USB C it does not acknowledge anything was plugged in when viewing device manager.  I know the USB C port is functional as I use a USB C headset that works.  The issue is not the monitor, cord or adapter as I have tested those with other devices and all work.  

I've confirmed all downloads/drivers are up to date with the Dell command center app.  Any guidance on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help! 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 1st, 2021 20:00

@k1l011  A USB-C headset would be a USB data device.  A USB-C to DVI adapter would be relying on video output, which occurs through a GPU output wired to the port, which is completely separate from USB data connectivity.  So a headset doesn't verify the functionality of the USB-C port that you'd need for a USB-C to DVI adapter.  But in terms of the issue, DVI and HDMI are electrically identical signals up to 1920x1200, and I've helped multiple people here who have had USB-C to HDMI adapters that worked with some laptops and not others.  In every single case, the fix was to try another brand of adapter.  That shouldn't be necessary, but I suspect the reason is that USB-C port use DisplayPort protocol for video output natively, so USB-C to HDMI/DVI adapters need to incorporate active signal converter chips to switch signal over.  Those converter chips seem to have some interoperability issues with certain devices even if they work fine with others.  They SHOULD work with all USB-C sources capable of video output, but not everything that should work in the tech world always does -- which is why sometimes just trying another brand of adapter works.  For what it's worth, I tend to buy Cable Matters products for this type of thing and I have had consistently good luck with them -- and they make a USB-C to DVI cable here.

Alternatively, if your ASUS display happens to have a DisplayPort input, I'd suggest using USB-C to DisplayPort instead.  That way your cable/adapter won't need a signal converter chip since it will just be passing through the native signal coming from the system.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 09:00

Thank you for your input!  I'll work with my IT team to get another adapter and go from there!

No Events found!