Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2017 19:00

"Your battery is temporarily disabled" - Updated BIOS, changed both battery/AC adaptor etc

Hey everyone, i have been receiving the "Your battery is temporarily disabled" notification after the laptop randomly turns off. Getting it started again is easy, all i have to do it disconnect the battery and reconnect it and it starts. However at first it might happen once a month, then once a week, now it's a few times a day and even within a few minutes of resetting it, it can happen. It's random at the moment, but it won't last more than a day, typically no less than a few hours before turning off.

So far i have replaced both the AC Adaptor and Battery, and i switch between the 2 with no improvements. I have updated the BIOS, and i also uninstalled the battery drivers, but not the AC driver (it wasn't suggested but i might try it anyway). Still no luck.

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 16:00

:emotion-2:

Please list your Dell model number and version of windows. Ex: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

If you don't know, type msinfo32 into search box, you'll see system information.

2K Posts

March 25th, 2017 10:00

Hi SB032,

What is the exact system model?

Are you using an original Dell OEM Adapter and battery? Where have you obtained the other adapter and battery from?

When you plug in the adapter to the system, does the adapter stay firm or does it fall off easily? Is the adapter frayed? Is there any damage on the system?

Restart the system and press f2 key to enter BIOS - check the adapter status in BIOS with and without the adapter plugged in. Also, wiggle the adapter cable at the end and see if the status changes in BIOS at any point. Check the battery health in BIOS (if applicable).

Since you have tested another adapter and battery, the next part to be replaced it the dc port - part# depends on the system model and you can check it here.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

6 Posts

April 30th, 2017 11:00

Hi, it's a 7520. I have used both an original OEM Adaptor and Battery, as well as a replacement. Same issue. The adaptor falls out easily and needs to be pushed in hard to charge at all. DC port does sound very plausible!

I will check the status in my BIOS and reply back here.

6 Posts

April 30th, 2017 11:00

The full status for the battery is "This battery is temporarily disabled, please turn off the computer, reset the AC adapter and try again when the unit is back to operational temperature"

I can't see an individual status for the AC adapter

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 30th, 2017 12:00

Or....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

"The adaptor falls out easily and needs to be pushed in hard to charge at all.  DC port does sound very plausible!

:emotion-2:

That's the correct adapter for the system? Is the DC port loose ? And does the BIOS look similar to one pictured below ? Keep in mind, if the adapter says none or unknown then it's a issue with the adapter. If it says it adapter type then it's good, no problem with it.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Deleted....

2K Posts

April 30th, 2017 17:00

Hi SB032,

Is this an Inspiron 7520 or a Precision 7520?

Kindly review the response by LSUFAN51 and check the adapter status in BIOS and reply with the results.

If the dc port is loose, it needs to be replaced.

If the system is under warranty, kindly private message me the service tag of the system and your name and I shall review the warranty details for you.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our team to get a quote for a paid service call - http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 20:00

thank you. it says none, but what's the chances both my adapters have failed?

6 Posts

I would order a new battery if i knew that was the issue, but i've had both the AC adapter and battery fail in laptops before, never had these symptoms, yet both my batteries and both my adapters have the exact same issue even as i switch between the 2 to diagnose?

6 Posts

Inspiron, it's out of warranty, it sounds like the DC port as i've been having issues with it being loose and lack of contact for a long time before this happened, this seems to be a progression of the issue, thanks.

2K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 21:00

Hi SB032,

Thank you for the update.

Yes, I would also suspect the dc port since both the adapters say none in BIOS and the fact that the port itself is loose.

You could contact our support team via the link in my previous post and get the parts replaced.

No Events found!