Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2010 20:00

microsoft bluetooth notebook mouse 5000 won't connect to windows 7 latitude E6400

I have a new Latitude E6400 running Windows 7 enterprise 64 bit ( version 6.1, build 7600). Along with that I have purchased this dreaded Microsoft bluetooth notebook mouse 5000 http://www.microsoft.com/Australia/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=099

I have tried all the different bluetooth drivers on the Dell site; vista, xp, win 7 32 bit, win 7 64 bit, etc. and nothing works.

I've tried different bluetooth drivers from other computer manufacturers, etc. and still no luck. I've installed the different Intellitype software versions as well with no luck.  I opened a support call with Microsoft and they sent me a new mouse because they figured the first one was defective. I did a live chat with the Dell folks and they told me the mouse was bad. I am getting nowhere...

At this point I am willing to give the mouse to someone else (anyone running xp has no issues connecting with this mouse per my testing on other laptops) but this is now principle. There has to be a way to make this work.  The laptop is literally just a few months old. The mouse has a stamp on it with a manufactured date of January 2010. I am so disappointed in Microsoft for putting out hardware that doesn't work with their software and also with the fact that Dell's 370 bluetooth minicard driver on their support site was last updated in October of 2009!!

So... Anyone out there running into the same issue? Any ideas and assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

1 Message

September 13th, 2010 22:00

Andre this worked for me. XPS 16 Windows 7 64bit MS Bluetooth Mouse 5000.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/7c540aed-1199-4f5b-aaea-2182b27b7aef?prof=required&lc=1033

See Davids solution. If the link is broken here is the punch line:

Go to START icon and type in SERVICES.MSC and select SERVICES.  The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE and double-click or open it.  Select AUTOMATIC.  Go to the LOG on tab.  Choose LOCAL SYSTEM and it is the road to nowhere.  That HAS been the recommended fix but it never worked for me.  Choose THIS ACCOUNT, instead.  Type in LOCAL SERVICE.  NOW; if you click okay it will say select valid password or such.  NO PROBLEM.   Do this; type in Local Service into the dialog box and then delete the password dots (a 15-dot-string) under password and delete the string under confirm (both password boxes are now empty).  Choose okay.  SUCCESS.  It should then tell you to STOP the service and then to RE-START the service before the change takes effect.  It should now work.

My edit on David's solution:

Go to START icon and type in SERVICES.MSC and select SERVICES.  The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE and double-click to open it.  Select AUTOMATIC.  Go to the LOG ON tab.  Choose  "this account" type in "LOCAL SERVICE". Then delete the password dots (a 15-dot-string) under password and delete the string under confirm (both password boxes are now empty).  Choose okay.  SUCCESS.  It should then tell you to STOP the service and then to RE-START the service before the change takes effect.  Do so and it should now work.

Good Luck

Boom

September 15th, 2010 14:00

Boom,

You're the man! I can't believe I finally got this thing to work. I spent so many hours on it because I just couldn't believe what was happening. I would have never known to look at the log on section of the services.

thanks man!

1 Message

October 11th, 2010 15:00

Boom - YOU are the smartest person on the entire internet!!!  I've spent hours and hours over the course of several months searching for answers as to why my mouse - and the second identical one I purchased, would not connect.  I found  web page after web page of people describing the exact same problem I had.  Not a single solution came close to working.  Your solution worked in just a couple of minutes.  THANK YOU very much.  You ROCK.

1 Message

March 17th, 2011 19:00

Genius man!

Worked for my vostro 3700 and M$ mouse. Spent a few days uninstalling/reinstalling drivers ... no joy. I was about to reinstall windoze but luckily i found this. Boom ... thanks.

1 Message

January 5th, 2012 15:00

Another success here.

One additional step I needed was I had an existing Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse showing in Control Panel Devices.  I needed to delete that, then select "add device".

It took a minute or so to find it and re-install the drivers, but after that it started working again.

MAny thanks for the help.

2 Posts

August 4th, 2012 23:00

You are the Man!  That worked perfectly.  After at least an hour of wasted time reinstalling drivers and looking all over the internet, finally someone who knows what they're talking about.  Thanks so much!

1 Message

April 10th, 2013 19:00

Hi Boom, 

I have a Dell e6420 running XP SP3 and I can't figure out how to connect my Microsoft 5000 bluetooth mouse either. I took your recommendation but when I typed "services.msc" in the run bar "Bluetooth Support Services" is NOT on the list of services. Any suggestions on how I might find that or what I need to install to get this connected? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jeremy

1 Message

May 30th, 2014 23:00

This deserves the best congratulations ever.

I did try this setup initially.  I had the Bluetooth Support Servce setup with a Log On account.

On this step I had put on on "This Account" .. And it didnt work

I reinstalled WDICOMM driver. - No luck

I reinstalled using the Windows 7 CAB drivers on Bluetooth devices - No luck

I changed devices from one laptop to this one - No luck

I had uninstalled the device (to reinstall it) - No luck

And I did something few people do.  I opened my laptop to remove the WLAN card and set it again.  (Something too risky) .. But really.. I felt there where no more options Left.

And just when I was about to use once again a USB mouse.

But you came up and said just the opposite of the initial step.  Use Local Services and now it does work.

What could have happened that my mouse failed to be recognized.  Usually I hibernate the laptop and / or put it to Sleep.  But for some reason I had done this incorrectly and the laptop had to do a Complete Restart.  And with that the Bluetooth Mouse failed to start.  Something misconfigured and sucked a whole 6 hours complaining and trying to fix this issue.

Anyway You are the Man for Dell Bluetooth Issues so I feel very much achieved today (and with that I learned a lot) xD.  Thanks!

No Events found!