Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2013 18:00

dell l521x click and drag touchpad issue

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15" L521x laptop. 

Everything runs great on it except for when I want to left click and drag on the trackpad/touchpad.  Because the touchpad is sensitive over the top of the left and right buttons, every time I try and click and drag, the touchpad doesn't know what to do.  The mouse often jitters between two points, making the simple task of selecting a specific area of text or dragging and dropping folders or photos a very frustrating process to the point that it is almost unusable.

I am using the latest trackpad diver version (16.3.1.1) which I downloaded directs from the dell website.  This still hasn't fixed the problem. Please help.

Regards,

Ruben

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 21st, 2013 23:00

Hi Ruben,

I understand that you have tried all possible steps; I would like to know if you have tried to change the touchpad sensitivity, if not try following the below steps to change the touchpad sensitivity:

1. Select “start”.

2. Select “control panel”.

3. Select mouse and pointing devices setting.

4. Select Dell Touchpad”.

5. Click on the huge arrow icon that will launch a separate application supplied by Dell that lets you gain complete control over the touchpad, Click on "Touchpad Settings".

6.  Move the Touch Sensitivity bar to Heavy Touch.

7. Select Apply and then click OK.

9. Now check the laptop by closing the lid and the functionality of the Touchpad.

Please reply for further help.

January 22nd, 2013 03:00

Thanks for the suggestion however it was only a marginal improvement.  It isn't quite as bad as before however still glitches often (it took less than a minute to have a  handful of serious glitches).  On top of that, the pointer moves really sluggishly because of the amount of pressure required.

The best fix that I can think of is reducing the amount of sensitive area on the touchpad by altering this in the driver.  I have read that this can be done with synaptics touchpads in Linux (Ubuntu) by altering  a BottomEdge values to a number other than zero (source: ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php).

Is there any way of doing the same in Windows 7?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 24th, 2013 03:00

Hi HampsterSlide,

The link below shows how to change the mouse settings in Windows 7 operating system.

Link: http://bit.ly/bp87S9

Please check and reply for any further help.

January 24th, 2013 21:00

So exactly what am I meant to do with those settings???  None of the settings under 'mouse properties' or 'Dell Touchpad' offer any kind of fix. I tried them all and searched forums before coming here.  Somehow I don't think you really understand my issue.

To make things clearer I made a youtube video to explain which you can see here:  http://youtu.be/Xw9olbwTPVE

Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi HampsterSlide,

I can understand electronic devices can create confusion when they do not work the way they are designed for. I appreciate your time in trying to fix the laptop by yourself.

As the problem is with the hardware functionality of the laptop, replacing the touchpad will fix the problem.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. I would be glad to arrange for a replacement.
To private message, click my user name , select Add as friend and click start conversation. 

To check the Warranty status use this link:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j

Kindly reply for any further help.

January 27th, 2013 18:00

Hi Nikhil,

I have sent you a PM with the information you require for a warranty repair.  My laptop is only a month and a half old and is still under full warranty.  I hope this is a simple hardware issue which can be resolved with a replacement of touchpad.  My laptop is also cursed with the same wifi issue which all the l521x laptops have.  Is it at all possible to have both these hardware issues fixed at the same time?

Regards,

Ruben

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

January 30th, 2013 04:00

Hi Ruben,

I see that you have contacted technical support team for the replacement of the touchpad and wireless card, please post or private message me if the issue has been fixed.

Please revert to me in case of any help regarding your computer.

February 11th, 2013 18:00

Yes I got in touch with the tech support here in Australia.  They came an replaced the touchpad.  There is a 0% improvement with the issue with the new touchpad.  The tech which replaced it said that he believes that he believes that it is a software problem with the touchpad.

Any other ideas?

February 27th, 2013 18:00

*BUMP* This issue still stands....

No Events found!