1 Message

November 17th, 2003 21:00

connect laptop to internet by cell phone

Can this be done, if so how?

Thanks in advance

14.4K Posts

November 17th, 2003 23:00

yes it can be done!
iirc nokia does a package to use the phone as a modem!
other manufacturers may offer the same.

34 Posts

November 18th, 2003 14:00

Yes it can be done and can be done quite easily. Here is what I have done with my system.

I have an LG510 phone and Verizon wireless phone service.

THe LG510 has a USB cable and software that can be purcased separately. Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable and install the software as directed in the instalation manual. Your Cell phone now becomes a modem.

But here is the sticky part. With my Verizon plan, there are 2 ways to connect. The first is to use the phone as a general modem and burn my minutes from the plan. The second is to sign up for a digital connection plan. This second one is quite expensive. We have a friend who has AT&T and he can not connect using his minutes and it cost him quite a lot for his connect time. So look at you phone and provider plans to see what is available.

As a side note, if you are using your phone as modem and butining your minutes, connections are limited to about 14K as compared to a standard dial up of 56K, so it uis relatively slow, but it does work.

133 Posts

November 18th, 2003 16:00

I have AT&T GSM (mlife) service and use a Nokia 6200 to connect via the infrared port.  No cables to carry around.  The AT&T software also has some add-ons that will filter out graphics, animations, sounds etc. to streamline your download and save kilobytes (and therefore money). 

It's nice for a quick check of e-mail before hopping on a plane or when I'm too lazy to hook up a phone cord.

78 Posts

November 22nd, 2003 01:00

dagrizz,

When you use your cell phone as a modem on Verizon at the slower speed, does it cost you anything at all (besides airtime)?

Thanks.

34 Posts

November 24th, 2003 03:00

Since the test that I did after installing the software and connecting, it apears that all it was costing me was my minutes.

I have been checking my usageon line and no extra charges have shown up yet. Their website shows my usage since the last bill biut nothing out of hte ordinary. I should be getting a bill soon htat has that particular call on it. Then I will know for sure. But as of toda, it does not apera that there is any unususal charges.

Be aware though that they have a plan that does give you extra speed but at a cost that is way above what your minutes woulds cost.

Mike

34 Posts

December 6th, 2003 15:00

Well I finally got the bill with my air time on it for using the cell phone as a modem.

The good news is that all it cost me was my minutes that are already paid for as part of the calling plan. The call was codded differently than a normal call but still was not charged any extra for it.

The bad news is that it is slow, only 14.4k as oposed to 56k for a standard dial up.

So it looks like when I travel, I will have an internet connection wherever I have a cell phone signal.

Mike

78 Posts

December 6th, 2003 15:00

Thanks dagrizz.  I got the USB cable for my Nikia 3589i.  It works great when WiFi is not available.  The only thing I could wish for is........a bluetooth phone so I don't have to worry about the cable, and also hook up to a Palmpilot.  But I'll probably have to wait until my service contract expires (2 yrs), and by then who knows what will be available.

No Events found!