Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

April 24th, 2005 15:00

cannot boot with USB device plugged in

Hi,

I have an inspiron 8500 with win xp pro sp2, and this is a problem i've been having....if i have a USB device plugged in (eg mouse), I won't be able to boot.  The bios will load, and then I see the ms windows page loading with the green bar.....but it just stays stuck at that page with the green bar animating.  I have to reboot with the device unplugged and then I get to windows.

I looked on the forum, and I can't find anything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2.8K Posts

April 24th, 2005 15:00

@tc61380 wrote:
Hi,

I have an inspiron 8500 with win xp pro sp2, and this is a problem i've been having....if i have a USB device plugged in (eg mouse), I won't be able to boot.  The bios will load, and then I see the ms windows page loading with the green bar.....but it just stays stuck at that page with the green bar animating.  I have to reboot with the device unplugged and then I get to windows.

I looked on the forum, and I can't find anything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Go here and get the latest Bios update for your system, check to make sure that the one on the Dell website is newrer than yours before doing it though.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_8500&category=0&os=WW1&osl=EN

138 Posts

April 24th, 2005 18:00

Look in the bios and make sure it is not trying to boot from a usb device.

ben

10 Posts

April 26th, 2005 23:00

i have the latest bios, my boot order is correct, disk->cd->hd->usb

actually my latest situation is...

-my laptop loads with my intellimouse explorer usb fine

-windows get stuck with a generic usb mouse

-i cannot get past bios with my apple ipod plugged into my usb

2 Posts

September 5th, 2006 02:00

I have the same problem, tried Dell support telephone, but they have no idea! Still searching for solution. I have another brand laptop, it works perfectly well without this issue.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2006 02:00

I have a new Inspiron 1300, have similar problem that it can't boot if a USB hard drive plugged in.

Then, I searched the Internet and found that the USB enclosure of the USB hard drive may be the root cause. I tried another USB hard drive with different enclosure. It works!

So, the solution in my case is to use another USB enclosure.

Hope it helps a bit

No Events found!