Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

7 Posts

August 20th, 2005 17:00

XPS AC adapter not recognized.

When I start up my xps I get a loud beep and a message that tells me my ac adapter is not recognized and that this will prevent the computer from operating at optimal capacity.

If I do standard tasks on it like using the internet or basic office programs it seems to run fine, but when I try to play any games I experience severe slowdown.

I called tech support and basically all he helped me do was turn of the warning message which does not resolve the issue.

I had the message a while ago and it went away for a week or so before coming back. When I go into the setup utility when the computer starts, it says that the AC adapter type is unknown.

I would really appreciate a solution to this problem. Thank you.

14.4K Posts

In spite of the message does your AC adapter continue to trickle charge your battery?

7 Posts

What do you mean by trickle charge?

14.4K Posts

Putting it another way, does your battery stay fully charged when you are using your laptop whilst it is attached to the AC adapter?

7 Posts

August 20th, 2005 19:00

Yes it does, as far as I know anyway. I've been in the setup utility a few times and each time it showed the battery as being at full charge. I also rarely see the little icon in the taskbar that says the battery is charging, only if I have used the battery alone.

651 Posts

August 20th, 2005 19:00

I had the same problem on an Inspiron 1150 after I had Dell replace the AC Adaptor. They set things up to ship the laptop to them for repairs. They updated the bios. All is well.

713 Posts

August 20th, 2005 21:00

If you are under warranty, arrange with Dell that they ship you a new AC Adapter. In most cases, this is the problem. If the new AC adapter doesn't resolve the problem, it is very likely that the system board has to be exchanged.

7 Posts

August 21st, 2005 18:00

Well I was able to get the computer to recognize the ac adapter as 150 watts by taking out the battery. The battery itself still seems to work, as does the ac adapter, but when they are both connected the ac adapter cannot be determined.

However even though I can get it to recognize the ac adapter without the battery, I still experience considerable slowdown in games.

This is becoming very annoying.

651 Posts

August 22nd, 2005 02:00

Send in your laptop. Dell provides a shipping box andpays fpr shipping. I assume it is under warranty. Theit turn around time to California is about 4 days.
No Events found!