Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2016 13:00

XPS 15 9550 volume too low

HI, I am having  probelmm with the volume especially with some applicaitons. It used to be fine, but now when I play a video using both  player or VLC the volume is so low that i cannot hear anything even when everything is maxxed out.

If i turn off the maxx audio echnacements 9hwich I dont like particullary) it is like no sound is coming out of my speakers.  and VLC players are the biggetst offenders, but other applicaiton like mozilla and my videogames sound very low too suddenly. Whn I play a movie I get 50 dB max out of my speakers which is too low.

If I open the volume mixer I can see that the volume bars do not rise almost at all, but I have no clue why

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 16th, 2016 19:00

Hello. I suggest a couple of tests.

1. Plug in headphones to see if the problem is just in the speakers, or the headphone jack too.

2. If the volume level is too low in headphones, make the volume level is turned up.

3. Test the audio driver by switching between the Realtek driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1.    Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2.    Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3.    Select to "Update Driver Software".
4.    Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5.    Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6.    Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7.    In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8.    Click "Next".
9.    On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10.    Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

If the volume is excessively low with both drivers, then it could be hardware failure.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2016 06:00

It is as I suspected. This is a driver's problem.

I noticed it also when I had to reinstall my Audio drives cause they crushed and when I first resarted the windows drivers was louder.

Do you have any idea on how to report this to Dell and get it fixed? The problem is that you loose functionality with the windows drivers and the microphone sounds worse

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 17th, 2016 08:00

I had to reinstall my Audio drives

When you re-install audio drivers, they restore the settings to the default configuration. That means that reinstalling the audio driver fixes configuration issues caused by the user or another program.

Do you have any idea on how to report this to Dell

You can contact tech support to share your concerns about the driver.

No Events found!