Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2012 10:00

WiFi Adapter Suddenly Stops Working!

I've strange issue with my laptop, it stops working (showing no network), after disabling/enabling it starts working for a while and than again stops.

When I listen to the songs or watching movie, i heard some sound glitches, mouse hang too. and WiFi stops working.

its happening abruptly not necessarily when i was watching movie or listening a song. Disabling/Enabling solution works but its not a permanent solution, it's happening since i purchased, i have purchased it in August 2011.

its Dell inspiron 15R n5110, Core i5 2410 Sandy Bridge, Dell Wireless 1702 802.11b/g/n, using Windows 7 SP1.

I have tried everything to fix this problem but nothing is working and its still encountering that problem. i have also claimed the warranty and they have changed the wireless adapter but its encountering the same problem.

Kindly fix my Problem.

Regards.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 10:00

There is no one size fits all fix.  

Certain Intel based cards have a power management issue.

(-config wps mfp infrastructure disable) is for WPA2 clients.

Intel® Centrino® Wi-Fi Products

This applies to:

Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205 For Desktop
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235
Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300
Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 and Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 products
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 100
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 105
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 130
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 135
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2200 For Desktop
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 Network Connection
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100A Network Connection
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Intel® WiFi Link 1000
Intel® WiFi Link 5300 and Intel® WiFi Link 5100 products
Intel® WiMAX/WiFi Link 5350 and Intel® WiMAX/WiFi Link 5150 products
Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Symptom(s):
The following symptoms may be seen if a Wi-Fi access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router does not properly support the Power Save Polling (PSP) feature:

These symptoms may be more pronounced when on battery power.

Cause:
PSP mode is a feature that provides extended battery life for notebook computers. It requires coordination between the AP or router and the Wi-Fi adapter. Intel has discovered that some APs or routers may not implement the feature correctly or completely.

Symptom(s):
The following symptoms can happen if a Wi-Fi access point (AP) or broadband Wi-Fi router does not support the power save polling (PSP) feature:

• Intermittent loss of Wi-Fi connection
  • Inability to initiate a Wi-Fi connection
  • Poor Wi-Fi connection data performance
Using battery power can cause these symptoms to be noticeable.

Cause:
PSP mode is a feature that provides extended battery life for laptop computers. The mode requires coordination between the AP or router and the Wi-Fi adapter. Intel has discovered that some APs or routers may not implement the feature correctly or completely.

Solution:

Contact the AP or router vendor for updated software or firmware to correct the problem.

Alternate Solution:
An optional workaround is to manually put the Wi-Fi adapter into continuously aware mode (CAM). This disables the PSP feature. Set CAM by using one of the following methods:

Note Using this workaround can cause your Bluetooth* device to not receive signals. Contact your computer manufacturer for more information.

Set CAM using Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility

From the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility:

1. Click Advanced > Adapter Settings > Advanced tab.
  2. Select Power Management, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.
Note If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Set CAM using network control panel applet (NCPA)

Put the wireless adapter into continuously aware mode using the following steps:

1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click Network Connections.
  3. Right-click the wireless connection and click Properties.
  4. Click Configure.
  5. Click the Advanced tab.
  6. Select the Power Management setting, uncheck Default / Auto, and move the slider to Highest / Maximum Performance.

Note

If the slider is already at Highest / Maximum Performance, move the slider to another setting and then back to Highest / Maximum Performance.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2012 17:00

Hey note, he said 1702, Which is Dell branded ATHEROS, not Centrino.

He needs to read the DPC latency issue on Audio dropout for XPS15Z which identifies the wired Atheros card interrupting network flow, causing dropout.  

Read -

Change power settings (network, win7 plan 55% or above)

Update Atheros driver to latest

Pg 5 of Audio Link (& fwd, ignore gigabit cnnxn notes, those are wrong)

en.community.dell.com/.../19434026.aspx

Atheros download page

www.qca.qualcomm.com/.../content.php

No Events found!