Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 00:00

Water spilt on keyboard of laptop

Please, please help!  I just got a laptop a week ago, and my one year old spilt water on the keyboard (top left side, and not alot.) it crackled and the screen popped off.  I turned it over to dry out  and I can hear the computer start up, but the screen won't come on, wht do I do? 

354 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 00:00

If you are hearing snap crackle pop, and it ain't rice crispies, then it's possible that your machine's dead.  However, consider:

(a) if you bought it on a credit plan that has some sort of damage protection, then now's the time to use it.

(b) leave it to dry for a few more days.  It may help to partially disassemble it (take part of the cover off) so that it can air out.  Whatever you do, don't power it up again until you KNOW that it's dry.  It may help to take the battery out. 

Get back to us when it's fully dried out, and we'll take it one step at a time.  Odds are that it's fried, but then again - I had a Treo 90 that I dropped into the water - did the same type of thing.  I thought that it was dead, and left it in my drawer.  A few months later, I took it out, took it apart, and found that the screen connector to the main board was oxidized. I cleaned it and voila, it started up (unfortunately, one week later it was stolen...)

496 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 01:00

Top left corner is usually where the video card is (or in my case).

It might be that the video card shorted out and thats why you  dont get an image

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 14:00

That's what I was guessing, so for someone new to the world of laptops, (INSPIRON 5160)
what now?  Is it possible to just get a new video card?

354 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 16:00

Yes, it is possible to get a video card, but first you want to make sure that that's what's needed.   Let it dry out another day or so, then dissassemble the laptop to the point where you can get at the video card. Look at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5160/en/SM/palmrest.htm#wp1084976

for instructions on how to get to the card.  As surmised, the video connector is in the top left quadrant of the keyboard, so we may get lucky here - perhaps all that's happened is that the connector is gunged up.  When you take out the video card, look at the connector.  If it is discoloured, then clean it with a pen eraser (yes, a pen eraser - those grey ones)  Rub on it until the connector shows nice shiny metal (copper, hopefully).  Then, put it back together and see what happens...

48 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 16:00

Yes, you can buy just a video card..I would call Dell and tell them it just stopped working..You at least have a 1 year warranty plan..They will probably replace whatever is not working..They may or may not figure out it was jammed from the water..It's worth a shot...If you have the 'accidental damage' plan your covered regardless.

January 24th, 2005 04:00

It is my understanding that your daughter spilt water on your laptop within a very short time of getting it.

It you purchased the Complete Care Warranty Dell will replace your laptop at no charge.

I hope you did ? 
No Events found!