Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 1st, 2014 11:00

USB ports don't all work and docking station USB ports do not work

Hello

I have a Dell Latitude E6430 laptop running windows 7 64-bit.  When I try to use it with a docking station, the USB ports on the docking station do not work.  When I try to use a USB mouse with it, it only works with one of the USB ports.  When I try using my printer (HP laserjet 1320) through the USB ports, it doesn't work (it did previously with a Dell latitude E6430 running windows 7 64-bit).

I've installed the latest BIOS upgrade, updated the USB and intel chipset drivers.  How do I get these working?  Thanks,

Dave

1 Message

January 13th, 2015 15:00

Just as a follow up to this thread.  I had the same problem, with company supplied docking stations.  I have been through 6 docking stations and have found three that work (one intermittently stops recognizing my usb 3 ports, but I continue to use it), three were simply defective.  They obviously have a problem with these that they are continuing to ignore.

5 Posts

March 14th, 2014 11:00

Can anyone suggest who I should contact about this problem?

5 Posts

March 20th, 2014 08:00

Does Dell offer support?

3 Posts

July 5th, 2014 19:00

I have the same laptop and the same problem.  Wonderful to see that no one has helped you with your problem and you were not able to find anyone to call.  I am 1 hour into this problem and racking up the time into a problem that could be easily solved if I could just talk to a tech.

5 Posts

July 6th, 2014 14:00

Yep, no help to be had.  Sorry to hear you're having the same problem.  I used to be a huge fan of Dell, but as you can probably guess I will never voluntarily choose a Dell again.

3 Posts

July 6th, 2014 16:00

PS  None of the USB Ports in my docking station work.  I am able to successully plug in my internet connection and my Dell Monitor, and use it.  Thing is, the two USB ports on my monitor won't work now. I think it's all related to the USB failure at the docking station.   I only have three USB Ports on my laptop and have to shuffle things about in order to use the printer and the scanner and the wireless mouse and keyboard and the backup device, etc.  They all work just fine via the laptop.  

There is no driver that you have to install for the docking station.  The tech (the one that had a complete grasp on all the hardware and software)  that I spoke with yesterday said, "It's plug and play". 

He did have me check to be sure that the power cord (the big square thing) read 130W.  Anything more or less is trouble.  Check yours.   

Again, my equipment is the same as yours.  I got a new Latitude E6540 - with Windows 7 PRO 64bit and the matching docking station. There was only one docking station to choose from for this model laptop.  I got it in April 2014.   

3 Posts

July 6th, 2014 16:00

After I vented on the website, I went back to look at the kind of service plan or warranty that I had with my purchase.  More time, but at least there was a payoff.  I called one of the two numbers listed (for 24/7 availability) and after much (MUCH) hang time, four (4) service reps, I memorized my Service Tag number,  I finally got to someone who knew exactly what to do.  He ran all of the diagnostics and found that it really is my docking stations' USB Ports, they really don't work and he is sending me a new one RUSH b/c it's my only one...I have to turnaround my dud back to them in the packaging the new one will arrive in within 10 days.  Total time elapsed yesterday:  Start 6:02PM PST end 7:48PM PST.  I won't add the time I spent the other day starting the search for the problem.  Do you want the number?

5 Posts

July 6th, 2014 18:00

Thank you - but my new laptop (Mac) is already on its way.  My docking station worked with my previous Dell laptop (same model), and I do have problems with the USB ports on the laptop itself - for example, my mouse only works in one of them.

1 Message

April 20th, 2015 09:00

I've never posted but in a last hope a decision maker at Dell with a kink in their brain is reading these - absurd of Dell to disable with no option to enable rear USB ports.  I have been a faithful Dell customer for 15 years standardizing dozens of companies and purchasing thousands of computers / laptops.  I'm looking at alternative vendors to standardize on as we speak, a 2015 initiative.  

And purely because of this port issue and every tech support person I spoke too proud to explain my laptop is working perfectly and by design - as if I should thank them for being idiots.  

Fix this Dell, its a simple switch to be added to BIOS.  

No Events found!