Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2012 07:00

USB Power Always On?

I recently purchased a Inspiron 17R 572o.  Is there a way to lep the USB port powered at all times, even if computer is off?  Sleeping?  Hibernate?

Can anyone help?

148 Posts

December 10th, 2012 11:00

I was under the impression that USB 3.0 PowerShare which is one of my ports should provide power even when in sleep mode.  That is the way they are promoted.

240 Posts

December 10th, 2012 11:00

Hi Ringfinger,

No, there is no way to let the USB port powered at all times.

Please do get back to us for further assistance or information.

240 Posts

December 10th, 2012 12:00

Hi Ringfinger,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience for providing incorrect information.

I did have a check on system model that you have provided and I see that there is a USB 3.0 power share port that can be used to charge mobiles and other device.

Please make sure that the power share is enabled in bios and below is the steps to check.

In order to get power share you need to go to bios by shutting down system and after Dell logo keep tabbing the F2 key.

Once you enter bios under advanced option there is USB power share option and that has to be enabled.

148 Posts

December 10th, 2012 14:00

It is enabled.  I just checked.  Should this work when in hibernate or if computer is shut off?  It does not seem to.

148 Posts

December 11th, 2012 15:00

Hello?

240 Posts

December 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi Ringfinger,

USB powershare port works only with few devices like mobiles and IPod for charging purpose.

Would suggest you to flash Bios and see if it works.

Link to download Bios: http://dell.to/SMJTQO

If the issue repeats would request you to provide the service tag number on a private chat and I will get back to you on the status.

Below details will help you on how to send me a private chat.

I have added you as a friend.

Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘NIKHIL M ’highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well.

Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the service tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action.

You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

148 Posts

December 12th, 2012 05:00

My computer is brand new.  Flash the BIOS?  I just got the computer so there should be no need to do so.  

240 Posts

December 13th, 2012 00:00

Hi Ringfinger,

Below is the link for the latest version of bios. Check if your system has this version of bios or else download the latest version to get the issue fixed.

Link to download Bios: http://dell.to/SMJTQO

148 Posts

December 13th, 2012 04:00

Actually, I just tried it.  When computer sleeps or hibernates, it does not work.  It only works when computer is awake.  This is definitely a flaw that needs to be corrected!

148 Posts

December 13th, 2012 04:00

Before I do that, can you tel me if the powershare port is supposed to work when computer is:

Asleep?

Hibernating?

That will help me to determine if I have a problem.

148 Posts

December 13th, 2012 19:00

I have A12 BIOS at present.

240 Posts

December 17th, 2012 09:00

Hi Ringfinger,

I do request you to provide the service tag number on a private chat and I will get back to you on the status.

Below details will help you on how to send me a private chat.

I have added you as a friend.

Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘NIKHIL M ’highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well.

Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the service tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action.

You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

148 Posts

December 17th, 2012 09:00

What is a PPID number?

No Events found!