Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2008 23:00

Spilled small amount of water near speaker vents and now no sound.

A small amount of water was spilled near the speaker vents and now there is no sound coming from the speakers.  If I plug the earphones in, the sound is fine coming through the earphones, but without them nothing.  The computer runs fine otherwise.  I have ran every sound test and downloaded and reinstalled drivers but still nothing.  Is it possible that the speaker shorted out and if so, what is the solution.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 02:00

Did you run the audio test in Dell Diagnostics? To run Diagnostics restart the computer and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests for 3 or 4 minutes before the Dell Diagnostic starts. These pre-boot tests play some beeps and tones through the system speaker but this doesn't test the rest of the audio hardware, so you still need to let Dell Diagnostics run after the pre-boot tests finish. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the pre-boot assessment test.

When Dell Diagnostics opens, select 'custom', then the audio test. Dell Diagnostics will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it. If you answer 'no' then the test generates an error code that means you indicated you did not hear the sounds it played, but it doesn't and cannot pinpoint the exact component that has gone bad. in your case it will be the speakers.

If you are still under warranty report to Dell that the test failed and tell them the error code. A word to the wise, the standard warranty does not cover accidents.

Jim 

3 Posts

April 4th, 2008 21:00

Jim,

Thanks for your response.  I ran the test and hear the sound perfectly from both speakers.  Now what.

Marybeth

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 5th, 2008 01:00

Marybeth,

Good question. The fact that the speakers work during the test means they are okay, and you have already reinstalled drivers which should rule out a problem there. I think you should contact Dell if you are still under warranty. If they can't get the audio working they might want to replace your motherboard. What model is it?

Jim 

3 Posts

April 5th, 2008 01:00

Jim

It is am Inspiron 6000   It is not under warranty, but when aI get a chance I will contact Dell.

Thanks

Weirf Hu

No Events found!