Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

May 16th, 2013 12:00

Some Function Keys are not working.

Hi,

After a reinstall of Windows 7, I've noticed some function keys are not working as they should.

I first noticed the F3 key for enable/disable touchpad wasn't working but I solved that by uninstalling and reinstalling the Alps Touchpad drivers.

The keys that still aren't working are:-

F8 - Rewind

F9 - Play / Pause

F10 - Fast Forward

and also the key next to F12 for Mute.

All other keys are working correctly. I've installed the latest Quickset drivers. I ensured that all drivers were installed in the correct order when I reinstalled the OS.

Any help appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

May 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi Rob,

Please click on the link below and install the quickset driver which should resolve the issue:

http://dell.to/X1IKGu

Revert for further queries.

78 Posts

May 16th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

I'd already stated that I installed the latest Quickset driver. However I have done it again but the problem still remains.

934 Posts

May 16th, 2013 14:00

I know that you already installed Quickset -  nevertheless I will post the direct download link just in case you inadvertently downloaded the wrong version

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-17r-n7110

========================

Assuming that Quickset is installed properly did you try using the keys with and without the FN key ?

Depending on the settings of Quickset the keys may act as Multimedia or Function-keys.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2013 15:00

Rob,

What happens when you change it to Multimedia?

Rick

78 Posts

Hi Rick,

Yes I know I have to press the orange Fn key together with say F3 to work.

What I'm saying is...

F8 (rewind)

F9 (play/pause)

F10 (Fast Forward)

and Mute key aren't working.

All other function keys work correctly.

Changing the setting to 'Multimedia' doesn't make any difference (except I don't need to press orange Fn key).

Latest Quickset driver is installed. I've even tried it with the previous version A03.

Looks like there's no solution to this, other than using a third party app to assign actions to the offending function keys.

78 Posts

Hi.

When I change it to 'Multimedia' the function keys work without having to press the Fn key in unison. However, it still doesn't make the f8, f9, f10 or mute keys work.

added screen shot of my Windows Mobility Center just for reference.

78 Posts

Hi,

Yes that's the file I've downloaded and installed (3 times now). The setting in Windows Mobility Center and BIOS is set to  Function Key.

Is there a way to assign actions to function keys? I ask because clicking on the small icon in Windows Mobility Centre (which says "Change Function Key Behavior) doesn't do anything.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

unununium,

You need to press FN and the keys, it they're a different color than the rest of the normal keys.

Rick

78 Posts

May 17th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

Quick update:

Have discovered if I open say Windows Media Player and start to play a music track, pressing Fn+F8 / F9 / F10 work as they should. So I have sort of solved this.

However, I always thought that initially pressing those keys first, automatically launched my preferred media software. I could be wrong though as It's been a while since using the function keys in this way.

So, the only function key that doesn't work is still the 'Mute' key. I suspect this may have something to do with preinstalled Creative Soundblaster X-Fi MB software which I was unable to reinstall after the new OS install.

Dell were unable to give me an activation key for this software and wouldn't even send me a CD with it on. I believe there was a program called Volpanel.exe which loaded at startup and I think the 'Mute' function key was somehow connected to that.

Thanks for all your help.

No Events found!