Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 20:00

Sleep mode turns off wireless

My Dell 5110 shuts down the wireless when it goes on sleep.  Coming out of sleep, takes about a minute to reconnect.  Another Dell I have wakes up already connected.  I did go to properties and turn off the option that allows the computer to shit down wiresless to save power, but it has no effect.  Wireless is still off when it comes out of sleep or hibernation.  Is thee some way to correct this?

3.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 00:00

Hi Allaneibauer,

Welcome to the Community. I suggest you to first update the wireless card driver, and then go back and and check the box under power managment of the wireless card to allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. To update your wireless driver, log on to support.dell.com, click on drivers and downloads, enter your service tag, under network you should find the wireless drivers, you will find quite a few wireless drivers, so make sure you install the correct one as per the wireless card on your system.

Thank you

Royan

3.8K Posts

November 23rd, 2011 05:00

Hi Alan,

I would recommend you first uninstall the driver from device manager, and then update it with the newer version once its removed, and then check.

Thank you

Royan

November 23rd, 2011 05:00

Thanks for the suggestions. I did update the driver. My wife's dell has that checkbox checked but it keeps the wireless live when sleeping. I have it unchecked and the wireless turned off. Should I try checking it? It must be something other that is causing the issue. Alan

November 23rd, 2011 11:00

Thanks. Did not solve the issue, however. Still shutting down the wireless.

50 Posts

May 10th, 2012 20:00

Hello,

I have an Inspirpn  5010 that is doing this same thing. Disconnects after sleep mode and nothing short of a restart revives the wireless connection. Support has reinstalled the driver to no avail. (Mine is set to not shut down to save power either...in device manager.)

Help please.  

No Events found!