Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 17th, 2014 15:00

Sennheiser Headset / Volume (help ?)

Hi folks,

I purchased a set of Sennheiser phones/mic on Amazon recently to use with my Dell Inspiron 3737 on Skype, You Tube, etc. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006ICUU0O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not quite sure here but in my opinion I do not think the volume is quite loud enough.  I would have thought that with the slider on the headset turned up full and also the output on my Dell PC at 100% the level would be extremely loud.  But this is not the case. 

Is there something else I need to set within the Audio section of my PC ??

Many thanks in advance !

Ta,

Paul

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 17th, 2014 20:00

Paul, when you look at the Playback tab of the Sound properties (like the screen shot below but yours should have a usb device), right click on the headset or usb device and select properties, then the Levels tab and set the volume.

Do the same thing on the Recording tab to set the mic level.

Double check that your music player application volume is up all the way. In Skype go to tools>options>audio settings.

Open the Communication tab of the Sound properties. You might want to check "do nothing" there unless you want audio levels lowered during communication.

That's all you can do in the computer. A usb headset has an onboard "sound card" and amp so its own hardware is mainly responsible for its volume.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 18th, 2014 12:00

still found that (even with the Speaker Volume Output) at 100%

Paul, the Speaker levels just affect the onboard hardware. The level you should adjust is that for your headset. It should appear on the Playback tab either as its own name, or if you did not have to install a driver for it then it will probably be under the generic usb name.

When you locate it, right click on it and then on the Levels tab, but also try any other tabs there for your headset and see what is available. For example if it gives you an eq option  you could increase volume by raising all of the eq levels.

If nothing you do helps then maybe the headset is defective. It should be capable of getting uncomfortably loud.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 18th, 2014 13:00

The headset gets its power from the usb port which only puts out a few volts. I would try plugging it into a port directly into the computer. If the ports are paired don't have anything in the other port of the pair because the pair shares power. Also the laptop should be plugged into current while testing. If on battery power one of the different power management schemes might reduce power to the usb ports.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 09:00

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much indeed for your helpful reply.  I appreciate that greatly.

I made all of those kindly suggested settings and still found that (even with the Speaker Volume Output) at 100%, the level of the headphones (when listening to music on You Tube etc) was only just at (what I would consider to be) 'normal'.  When set at 50% I can hardly hear anything and I feel this should not be the case.  Therefore, I think you are correct in your assumption that the amp/soundcard in the Sennheiser is somewhat weak.  Highly annoying when I spent £20.00p on them !!

Ta,

Paul Seaman

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 15:00

Hi Jim,

I removed all other USB devices (camera charger / webcam / etc) and also moved the Sennheiser to another port on my PC.  I compared the volumes when having the PC running on battery and mains.

Windows Media Player is the only music playing software on my PC.

These adjustments did not make any difference to the volume.

I tried to upload some screenshots but it says the max size is 64Kb and mine are all way over.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Paul

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 16:00

Jim,

Ta, I found Sound / Playback / Sennheiser USB Headset. 

On the ENHANCEMENTS, Bass Boost / EQ etc do not make any difference at all to the sound in any way whatsoever.

Personally, after trying all these things, I think I must have reached the maximum possible volume.  Very annoying indeed !!

Cheers,

Paul

No Events found!