Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

3 Posts

January 17th, 2004 04:00

Sandisk CompactFlash PCMCIA Adapter not working on I8600

Hi,

Any body has experience with the above PC card? My I8600 does not recognise the device in the PCMCIA slot? I could not find the device under device manager either.

My Configuration is

8600 1221 VALUE
Inspiron 8600WLT PM 1.4GHz+15.4"WXGA+Internal Ethernet Card
256MB 333MHz DDR Memory
30GB 9.5mm IDE Hard Drive
64MB NVIDIA GeForceFX Go5200
56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem
Integrated 10/100 Network card
Bluetooth wireless card
Intel Pro WLAN 2100 802.11b Mbps

Microsoft Windows XP Home SP1

19 Posts

January 27th, 2004 01:00

I have the same card being used on an I8500 and it works perfectly evrytime. In fact I use it a lot to transfer files form I8500 to I8000 or Latitude CPI. Can you try the card in another PC, it may be defective.

I8500 - P4-M 2.20G, 1GB RAM, UXGA
Win XP Pro, SP1, A05 BIOS
40GB HD, 40GB Media Bay HD, 40GB USB 2.0 HD
Philips CD-R/RW/DVD+R/RW
D-Dock APR+D-Dock Stand
SyncMaster 152S
HP 990cxi, HP 7960, Epson 1650
iPod 40GB

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 3rd, 2004 01:00

The adaptor itself without any memory in it should not show anything because all it does is extend the socket.

However WIN2000 and XP SP1 and up Disable ISA to PCI IRQ routing which this device needs because its essentially a 16 bit ISA card.

This is a microsoft problem not a dell problem.

SYMPTOMS
A registry key was added in Windows 2000/XP Service Packs to disable
IRQ-routing settings for 16-bit Cards,
and this registry key affects all CardBus controllers in a computer.

SYMPTOMS
After you install Windows 2000/XP with an integrated (slipstreamed) Service Pack 3 (SP3), some 16-bit internal and external PC Card devices devices may stop working correctly. PC Card devices are also known as Personal Computer Memory Card International Association (PCMCIA) devices.

CAUSE
This behavior may occur when the IRQ of your PC Card device is not routed correctly.

The following devices are frequently affected by this symptom:
Integrated wireless network adapters that are based on PC Card standards.
Devices that are used in PC Card slots in desktop computers.
All of these devices require PCI routing.

By default, Windows 2000 SP3 turns off PCMCIA-to-PCI IRQ routing.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters]
"SoundsEnabled"=dword:00000001
"IsaIrqRescanComplete"=dword:00000000
"DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

16 BIT PCMCIA (NON CARDBUS 32 BIT) cards need ISA to PCI IRQ ROUTEING.

The article they are referring to is to ENABLE IRQ ROUTNG.

Setting several registry entries to ZERO will make this happen.

Win2000 SP1 AND XP SP1 etc and up DISABLE ISA IRQ

This makes it so the card WILL NOT WORK.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279491
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327947

This symptom may occur with the Dell 1150 or
Lucent/Orinoco 802.1x wireless network adapter.
After you install this adapter, the network appears to be
available and the signal strength remains the same.
However, the network is unavailable, and
the network connection icon has a red "X" over it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B327947

16-Bit PC Card Devices Do Not Work After You Install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP3
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP3

This article was previously published under Q327947

The article you refer to has to do with HARDWARE FAILURE AND BLUE SCREEN not pcmcia

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284

Error Message: STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151) ...
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

This article was previously published under Q329284
For a Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 and Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 162363.

SYMPTOMS
Your computer may generate the following Stop error message on a blue screen:

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
Note that the four parameters that are inside the parentheses may vary.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows XP. To do so, it used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors. The error may be a result of any of the following:
System bus errors.
Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems.
Cache errors in the processor or hardware.
Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor.
Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems.
Vendor-specific detected hardware problems.
STATUS
This behavior is by design.
MORE INFORMATION
A machine check exception occurs when Windows XP and your hardware platform cannot recover from some type of hardware error so that the system can continue to run successfully and reliably. More specific diagnosis of machine check exceptions is difficult and there is no general solution. Contact your hardware manufacturer or a computer hardware technician for help with troubleshooting this issue.

Machine check exceptions are frequently caused by one of the following conditions:
Running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, overclocking the processor or bus. Microsoft recommends that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds.
Noisy power, overstressed power strips, outmatched power supplies and failing power supplies can destabilize your computer. Make sure that you have a stable, reliable power supply to your computer.
Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans. Make sure your cooling devices are all working.
Damaged memory, or memory that is not the correct type for your computer. If you recently changed the memory configuration, revert to the previous configuration to determine what is wrong. Make sure that you are using the correct memory for your computer.
NOTE: Your hardware may support additional error logging features that capture the machine check exception and suggest a more specific solution.

The Pentium and Pentium Pro processors provide a mechanism to detect and to report hardware-related problems such as memory parity errors and cache errors. To signal a hardware error, the processor signals the detection of a machine check error by generating a machine check exception (Interrupt 18). Windows XP reports that the error occurred and displays parameters that you can use to decode the exception. Contact your hardware vendor or processor manufacturer for information about the Machine Check Architecture or see the Intel Pentium Pro Family Developer's Manual - Volume 3: Operating System Writer's Manual.

3 Posts

February 16th, 2004 07:00

I struggled with my PCMCIA slot for over two months. Tried all the settings as mentioned in this forum.

I asked for help with Dell technical support via e-mail. They replied saying that they cannot help since it involved third party device. So I asked them if they have their own device to read CF card used in my digital camera. They did not respond.

Then I began inspecting the pins of PCMCIA. I wanted to ensure that the pins are straight. So I inserted a small screw driver to make sure that the pins are indeed staright. Still it did not work.

Then I took telephone contact with technical support. After a lot of convincing they agreed to take a look at it at their place.

Now after inspecting the laptop they discovered that PCMCIA slot is indeed defective. But since there are some physical damages (possibly some little scratches occured during inserting the screw driver) they say that the repair costs are not covered by warranty. Now I have to pay 550 euros to replace the PCMCIA slot.

It is really a bad experience with Dell . This is the high price I had to pay for trusting a well known brand like Dell.

I am extremely sorry with Dell. I believe that what I did to get the card working, would have been done by anybody.

I would like to get reactions on Dell's attitude.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 16th, 2004 21:00

Shoving a screwdriver into the pcmcia slot is NEVER a recommended procedure by ANY company for ANY reason EVER.

You did a bad thing and damaged the slot.

3 Posts

February 17th, 2004 08:00

For the clarity of the discussion the laptop was shipped with a faulty PCMCIA which was verified by plugging the same device into a similar model of Dell laptop.
No Events found!