Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 28th, 2013 06:00

Realtek "Stereo Mix" missing from Audio Recording devices

Realtek HD Audio "Stereo Mix" device is missing from the Recording devices in the Control Panel Sound applet.

Is there a secret Registry edit or something else to unhide this device option?

I enabled both these options on the Recording tab -- neither worked.
"Show disable devices"
"Show disconnected devices"

I installed the latest audio drivers from Dell and Realtek. Neither exposed   "Stereo Mix".

Anyone, Please help.

---------------------------------------
Laptop model - XPS L501X
Realtek High Defintion Audio (on motherboard)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, (w/ SP 1)

---------------------------------------
Latest Dell driver installed

Realtek ALC665 Audio, v.6.0.1.6312, A04
(Driver)
4/7/2011
6.0.1.6312, A04
Previous Versions
Description
Realtek ALC665 Audio Driver

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 28th, 2013 08:00

Here is a forum entry from a guy who says he fixed "Missing Stereo Mix" on a Sony machine by a registry edit. It has IDT audio drivers

IDT has a recording option for "Rec.Playback" which is the same as stereo mix, so no need for an edit on those models.

Yours is the first post I have seen that reported no stereo mix on a Realtek driver when show disabled and disconnected are checked.

As far as older drivers you don't have much to choose from on the Dell site. I wouldn't worry so much about trying them. If you don't like them just re-install the current one. (Before installing an older one first remove the current one in Control Panel>View by category>Uninstall a program.)

6.0.1.6194,A01

6.0.1.6240,A02

Regarding the rumor about Dell, I'd say it was more likely a decision made by Realtek if even the driver direct from its site does not have stereo mix.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 28th, 2013 07:00

I don't know of a registry edit to get stereo mix on Realtek. I know that some of the Dell laptops with Realtek have it because I saved the screen shots that show it on the Recording tab, but I did not make a note of which models. Have you tried all of the older versions of the Realtek driver?

20 Posts

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply.

No I haven't tried any old drivers. That scares me a little since there is no way to know what the old drivers might be  missing in terms of important updates. I saw a post elsewhere from a Sony owner who said he fixed this problem by an edit to an INF file in the driver install folder. I was kinda hoping someone would know of something like that for Dell driver install.

That said, do you have any idea how far back I'd need to go with old drivers to find one that doesn't hide Stereo Mix?

20 Posts

Just FYI.

Here is a forum entry from a guy who says he fixed "Missing Stereo Mix" on a Sony machine by a registry edit. It has IDT audio drivers so that patch won't work for Realtek, but maybe someone on this Dell forum knows of a similar work around for Realtek

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell/270169-dell-disabling-stereo-mix-due-riaa-pressure-4.html

20 Posts

September 28th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for all your help Jim. You gave me enough info to find the original cause. You are golden!! :-)

Solution: I installed the LATEST Realtek HD Audio driver (Dell A04) and the "Stereo Mix" reappeared in the recording devices list.

What I think caused my problem was that to install the latest driver you need to run the Setup.exe TWICE. The first time you run it, it removes the old driver and reboots. Then you have to rerun Setup.exe after the reboot to install the driver. This was all in the driver README file. Next time I read before I leap.

Anyway, you were right. It was the driver. And if I had just uninstalled the Realtek driver from Win Control Panel before I ran the Setup program, I never would have had a problem in the first place.

Thanks again. Have a great weekend.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 29th, 2013 06:00

What I think caused my problem was that to install the latest driver you need to run the Setup.exe TWICE. The first time you run it, it removes the old driver and reboots. Then you have to rerun Setup.exe after the reboot to install the driver.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. And I guess that was why the driver was not in the un-installation list.

No Events found!