Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2017 17:00

Please help me in locating a Dell BIOS Recovery USB Key

I have an Inspiron1545 laptop, (yea it's old but has been reliable for years now),and it's unable to load Windows at start up now.  Ran F2 system test, and went to "Can not boot OS" in the system tree. Ran test and received error code 0F00:075D, and 0F00:0232. I'm hoping a BIOS Recovery Key will resolve my problem. Tried several times running Windows diagnose, and repair to no luck.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If you can get the diagnostics to run, the BIOS is not the problem - and it sounds like those are hard drive sector errors, meaning the problem is a faulty hard drive.

Replace the hard drive and then reload Windows and you should be all set.   You WILL need an OS recovery DVD or flash drive -- but that's not the same as a BIOS recovery flash drive.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

If you don't have any backups of your data, there's a CHANCE that your drive issue might only be preventing access to some portion of the drive that's required for the OS to boot, in which case you MIGHT be able to boot your PC from a disc/USB drive into some environment that would allow you to access the drive and copy data from it to an external drive, or even attempt to capture a full image of the drive, although the prospects for the latter are slimmer.  I've mentioned a popular tool called Macrium Reflect Free here before. It's primarily a tool for creating image backups of drives, but it allows you to build Rescue Media that can be booted into from a disc/USB drive.  That's primarily intended to restore backups onto a drive (or perform them outside of Windows), but the Rescue environment includes a File Explorer application, so you could potentially use that to access your drive and copy some data elsewhere.  And if you're feeling especially lucky, you can even try using the Reflect application in that environment to perform an entire image backup of your drive.  Of course you'd have to use some other PC to download Macrium Reflect Free and build the Rescue Media to try any of this, but if you have access to one and you really need some data from that drive, it may be worth trying.

But I agree with ejn63, the ultimate solution has to be to replace the failed hard drive and reinstall Windows, your system's drivers, and your applications.  But once you do that, consider using an image backup tool (again, like Macrium Reflect Free) to capture backups of your entire drive periodically.  That way if this ever happens again, you'd just be able to install a new drive, restore your most recent image, and be back up and running in minutes rather than hours or days.  Image backups are also a great way to recover from incidents that aren't related to failing hardware, such as application installations or Windows updates that make your PC go haywire, malware/ransomware attacks, etc. -- and since it's also possible to extract individual files from image backups, they can give you some recourse in case of accidental file deletion/overwrite.

16 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok. The description of error states SATA Disk Smart Long Self Desk

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

See above :)

16 Posts

Ok thanks...This happened a couple of days ago, So I went to Best Buy and bought the Inspiron 3000 series laptop. I thought I had all my personal items in my cloud (Windows 10 One drive), but now realize there are files I need off my old. Is there any way I can retrieve them now ?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Your hard drive has bad sectors on it -- it needs to be replaced.

A faulty BIOS won't allow a system past POST (poweron self test).  That's not the issue here -- the bad hard drive is.

16 Posts

Yes..I did, but it's a little greek to me. Please have patience as I really need your help. In lamon's term, I believe what you are telling me here is to get a USB OS recovery drive and try ?

16 Posts

Interesting when all the research I read on why laptop would not boot up was due to BIOS errors. Discloser; I'm not a computer wiz

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 1st, 2017 18:00

Replace the hard drive first - you'll need a new 2.5" SATA notebook drive, 9.5 or 7 mm in height.  Then do the reload.

16 Posts

Ok...Thanks for all your help guys, or gals...Really appreciate you all heading me in the right direction

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

I'm saying to do this:

- Find a PC that works and that you can use temporarily.

- Get a flash drive you can afford to erase or a blank DVD.  Depending on how much data you hope to pull off the system, you may need an external hard drive on which to copy it as well.

- On the working PC that you borrowed, download and install Macrium Reflect Free, then follow the prompt when it first starts to create Rescue Media.  Tell it to make either a bootable USB flash drive or a bootable disc, depending on which you obtained in the previous step.

- Connect that flash drive (or insert that disc) into your dead PC and choose to boot from it by pressing F12 during startup to call up the one-time boot menu and choosing "USB device" or "CD/DVD", as appropriate.

- When the Reflect Rescue environment loads, click the File Explorer icon in the taskbar.  At that point you should be able to browse your internal drive, assuming it's not too badly damaged.  From there, you can copy/paste your data to your flash drive or external hard drive by right-clicking data, selecting Copy, navigating to your intended destination, right-clicking again, and choosing Paste.

- After you've recovered whatever you can from that drive, shut the PC down, replace the drive, and then reinstall Windows, your drivers, and your applications.  To do THAT, you'll again need a working PC, and to create a Windows installation USB flash drive or disc.  Microsoft allows you to download the appropriate version of Windows directly from them, and their tool allows you to build a flash drive or disc.  Just Google "Download Windows [7/8.1/10] ISO" as appropriate and click the link that takes you to a Microsoft site.

- After you've prepared the installation media AND replaced the hard drive, boot your dead PC from the installation media and follow the prompts to install Windows.  Then you'll need to download and install drivers, which you can find from support.dell.com.

16 Posts

Thank you so much....

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2017 05:00

Or remove your dead hard drive which you have to anyway and buy a USB-SATA adapter.

Such at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400542

Attach your dead hard drive to any working PC and pull off the data files you need.

No Events found!