Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

January 30th, 2006 14:00

Oops! Spilled on the keyboard and now it's not all working.

I spilled beer on the keyboard (right on the enter/backspace side of the keyboard) a few days ago - then I turned off the computer and cleaned it up immediately.

I've taken the keys off of the keyboard and cleaned under them using a wet paper towel, and then cleaned it again using rubbing alcohol and a tiny sponge. 

I'm still having problems, though - the enter and backspace keys don't work, and the back slash key (above the enter key) is constantly activated (when I try to type something, I just get \\\\\\ amidst my letters - e.g., www.dell.com looks like this: ww\\w.\\d\ell\\.c\\om\\\\\\).  The keys do not feel sticky, nor do I have trouble pressing them.

Any suggestions?  I've never spilled anything on the keyboard before and am not really sure what to do.

Thanks!

4.2K Posts

January 30th, 2006 19:00

Hi,

Replace the keyboard. A spill will always lead to long term trouble, so change it now rather than later.

Regards Chris

144 Posts

January 30th, 2006 20:00

Did you purchase "Complete Care" warranty from Dell with your computer?? If so they will fix/replace the problem at no charge. I did and glad I did when I hear of things like this. Also, with Complete Care even if I drop it and break the screen, etc,etc it is repaired for free. I purchased ( through negotiation ) the added coverage for 2 years on my new Inspiron 9300. I believe you can still purchase this coverage after you take delivery of your system. -Just a suggestion for the future.

5 Posts

January 31st, 2006 12:00

Hey Mav,
I am going through this problem now, but I can't get a hold of anyone help me start the process if fixing my computer. What phone number did you call or what did you do to get they ball rolling to get your computer fixed?
Thanks for the info!
S

2 Posts

January 31st, 2006 13:00

Thanks for the help/advice!

sullz - if you need to replace the keyboard, check out ebay - they run about $20.  They're pretty easy to pop in and out of place (I discovered this last night while playing around with mine), so this might be cheaper/easier than waiting to get a hold of someone from Dell.  Good luck!

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 15:00

Some   of   the   alphabetic keys  on my  board  hhaave   been  repeaating   themselves   with  double   and  triple  stricks.   
Caan  anyone please  tell  me  what  do  I  do  to remove   annd  clean  these   sluggish keys?

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 17:00

If you have the complete care warranty Dell will send you a new keyboard for free. That is what I ended up doing. It came really fast too.

4.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2006 17:00

Rudy531,

Same deal, replace it. They are cheap and easy to fit. You should only ( unless a keytop unclips ) bother making a temp fix to keep using it while waiting for a new one. Even if you re-clip keytops, they are more likely to come off again. A new KBD will make it work properly, so you are less likely to cause more damage in a moment of anger.

Regards Chris

2 Posts

February 6th, 2006 17:00

All...thanks  for  the suggestions....what  is the   procedure to  follow  to  get  the old   keyboard  out  and  the  new  one  in?..... 

4.2K Posts

February 6th, 2006 17:00

Hi,

Go to the notebok tab above, select Inspiron from the dropdown, then model, user guide and you should be there. [ the service manual ]

Regards Chris

5 Posts

February 6th, 2006 22:00

My new keyboard came really fast and was easy to put in and the computer is like new again!  Thanks for all the help everyone!  If Dell sends you a keyboard, remember, you have to send the damaged one back.
No Events found!