Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2015 09:00

No Web Browser sound, but I do have the regular System Sounds

I have an Inspiron 15 N5010, with Windows7 Home Premium (svc pack 1).  The Internet Explorer 11 browser seemed unstable so at one time I had installed Chrome.  A few weeks ago it seems I lost sound in both web browsers completely, but I still have system sounds, and itunes audio as well.  I have since uninstalled Chrome and am just trying to stick with one browser thinking that maybe that was the issue.

I ran a DirectX Diagnostic, which suggested that I did not have a sound card.  However, in my sound mixer the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC appeared.  I ran tests and could always hear the sound.

I completely uninstalled the driver and deleted all of the old files, and reinstalled/updated it.  When I ran another Direct X it did show a sound card.  But, unfortunately I still don't have any sound in Internet Explorer. 

I have confirmed all the sliders are up, nothing is muted, and I have checked that all of the internet advanced options allow web sounds, etc.  All scans, disk checks, system checks reflect that the device is functional.  And it seems to be- because I hear the start up sounds, etc.

I don't use the Windows Media Player, but I did try that, and it is non-operational as well saying there is an error with the sound.

Something in that soundcard seems to be having issues, but it has not completely failed.

I have been struggling with this for days.  Any other suggestions to try to get the web browser sound functional again??  Thanks!

May 8th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

I have personally come across this while playing online videos on my computer. Please try the following steps and let me know if it works:

Step 1 - By default the sound volume starts at 0 level so when you start any video increase volume manually on the video player.

Step 2 -  Start playing a video in Youtube, then click on on the sound button in the bottom right hand side of the computer screen. Then click on 'mixer'. You will see a new sound bar in there for Youtube flash videos. Make sure it is not on zero. By default it was on zero on my computer even though rest of the sounds were on high. That fixed the problem for me. 
Do let me know if this works for you. 

4 Posts

May 8th, 2015 19:00

No web browser appears in my sound mixer.

I tried youtube but nothing would load at all.  I ran Netflix, and again, just the video without sound.  Facebook does not appear to be running videos (probably no sound there either).

Any other ideas??

Thank you.

May 9th, 2015 03:00

Hi,

Thank for trying the steps and getting back to me. 

The sound mixer should look something like this:

If that doesn't work, lets try the following steps to see if it is going to resolve the issue:

1. Open Your Control Panel
  2. The easiest way to open the Control Panel is to click on "Start" and then click on "Control Panel."
  3. Open the Internet Options
  4. Double click on "Internet Options" to open that section of the Control Panel.
  5. Select the "Advanced" Tab
  6. The Advanced Tab is usually on the far-right side of the Internet Options screen.
  7. Scroll Down to Multimedia
  8. Scroll through the options until you see the section called "Multimedia."
  9. Click to check the option called "Play Sounds in Webpages." This will turn on all sounds in your internet browsers.
  10. Apply the settings, Click on OK

Now check if the sound from the web browsers work fine. In case if it still doesn't work, we might have to try a System Restore to a previous date when the sound from the browsers were working fine.

Please let me know if these steps help.

4 Posts

May 10th, 2015 13:00

I had to do a system restore, which did give me the web sound again.  However, IE 11 is completely unstable and I can't really use it at all.

I have tried all the windows updates, etc and nothing else seems to get it to function without the dreaded "not responding" incident every 10 seconds.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

No audio on web video means you do not have a codec.

Amazon Prime and others use Silverlight now.

install chrome stand alone and silverlight.

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/get-started/install/default.aspx

http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?system=true&standalone=1

4 Posts

I had silverlight already, but thank you for the suggestion.  I can try to switch to Chrome again, but at the moment it would just be great to get one web browser to work as expected.

No Events found!