Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 31st, 2013 03:00

No Audio Output Device Installed

Morning all. I'm hoping someone out there will be able to assist me, first a little back story. I recently bought a Dell Latitude E5520 laptop running Windows 7, 64-Bit, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

I received the laptop on Wednesday last week. The first thing I did was to update Windows and all the Dell Software. The laptop was working well without any problems. However earlier this week, when I tried to watch a video on YouTube, only to find there was no sound. Upon further investigation I found the speaker icon is shown with a Red "X", and when I hover the mouse over it,  a message of "No Audio Output Device Installed" would appear. This has only happened within the last few days because I watched some football on the laptop at the weekend using the internal speakers for match commentary. As far as I'm aware there's been no software installed that would have lead to this problem.

Working with computers a lot, I know my way around, so I then went to Device Manager to look for any faults. I looked under the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" and found only Bluetooth Audio was listed, which I thought was a little strange.However under the "System Devices" section I found that the HD Multimedia Audio Device had a yellow exclamation mark over it. Selecting it revealed it had failed to start (Code 10). Suspecting this was the root of my problem, I tried to Update the Driver. After a while of checking online, the message received back informed me that the installed driver was up to date, therefore it couldn't be updated, not what I wanted to hear! 

One of the things I've tried was to go into the "Services" section, then in the "Extended" tab scrolled down to "Windows Audio". From here I found that the Audio Service had started, and was set to start automatically. I've then stopped the service, and restarted it, again hoping to cure the problem, but again no change.

I've asked Google for other solutions, most of which amounts to reinstalling the sound driver, which I've tried but nothing seems to work. As a last resort I ran the Diagnostic tool from the Bios Menu, and everything passes correctly, yet I still have no sound from the laptop speakers.

Can anyone advise anything else to try, before I need to return the laptop to Dell?

Many Thanks in advance

1.8K Posts

January 31st, 2013 03:00

Hi martinAPD,

You can install the Audio drivers for your computer following the steps below:

• Click on the below link: http://dell.to/VpCEzl
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the driver on your desktop.
  • Once the driver is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer. 

Please share the findings. 

1.8K Posts

January 31st, 2013 04:00

Hi ravsbhatt,

I am glad that the issue is resolved.

Please feel free to get in touch in case you have any further questions. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 31st, 2013 05:00

I tried to Update the Driver. After a while of checking online, the message received back informed me that the installed driver was up to date,

I've asked Google for other solutions, most of which amounts to reinstalling the sound driver, which I've tried

Hello. I see that Chinmay S told you to reinstall the IDT audio driver which you had said you already tried, so I'm assuming you still have the problem. It is normally good advice because "No Audio Output Device" usually means that Windows cannot find the audio driver. But Windows 7 has its own basic audio driver that it will normally install when you re-boot if the IDT driver files are missing, so there could be some other problem causing the error.

As far as I'm aware there's been no software installed that would have lead to this problem.

If you have Windows automatic updates turned on then Microsoft could have changed your computer's configuration. Normally you can undo changes by using System Restore and I suggest you try that, but some Microsoft changes that affect audio cannot be undone with System Restore. Before trying it, re-enable the Windows Audio Service if it is still disabled,

Can anyone advise anything else to try, before I need to return the laptop to Dell?

Yes! If using System Restore did not solve the problem then restore the laptop to the original factory configuration. Doing this will undo all of your hard work with the laptop since you got it, but if you return it you will lose that work anyway so no net loss. The benefit of doing this is that the audio will work again just like it did when you took the laptop out of the box if a software problem caused the problem. The best thing about doing this is that it is the best diagnostic tool. If the audio does not work after the restoration, then it is because of a hardware failure. Restoration is the gold standard for determining software versus hardware audio problems.

The actual restoration (not to be confused with System Restore) is very quick and easy because the restore image is on the hard drive if you got the computer new from Dell. If it is used then someone might have removed the restoration partition from the hard drive, or the hard drive itself might have been replaced. In that case you would have to do a manual re-installation of Windows from discs and it might be easier to just return the laptop. See instructions for restoration here. It also has instruction for System Restore and other related operations. After restoration  test the audio immediately before updating anything. If it is fixed then proceed with caution with updates. The old-school advice about updates is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Mainly this applies to Microsoft. I only let it update security and the OS itself, not drivers.

1 Message

September 5th, 2015 07:00

Oh Gosh ! I have the exact same problem. My brother forced me to update to the latest windows (windows 10) idk why but I didn't want to. I liked the windows 8.1. anyway, long story short, I have the same problem . the same message comes with the speaker with a little red 'x' on it. I just don't know what to do. when u have a solution please be sure to inform me. I could use the help. thnx . and I'm also happy to know that I'm not the only ne with this problem because I'm in the 7th grade and in my school we need laptops for the 8th 9th and 10th grade so I was planning on being able to use it till then and if my audio is not working then I wont be able to use my laptop for anything like watching vids watching movies and listening to songs. so yea. that's pretty muh it. if anyone has any solution, anything that can help then please comment it . like i said before, i could really use the help. anyway, bye.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 6th, 2015 05:00

Hello. I agree that it is unfortunate that you had to install Win10. A lot of people are having audio problems because of it.

Please reply back with the full model name of your laptop. Most full model names have 3 parts, for example XPS 13 9342.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 11th, 2016 07:00

My computer is dell latitude C610 and im using windows 7

Hello. The Latitude C610 is an ancient model, at least 15 years old! It did not have IDT audio -- I doubt that IDT audio even existed then. It had Crystal 4205 audio hardware.  The "newest" Crystal audio driver is the XP version, released 14 years ago. There is no version for Win7. You could try to install it by using Windows compatib ility mode. Here is how:

1. Download and save the audio driver to your desktop or any convenient location on the hard drive.
2. Double click on the new folder to extract (unzip) the driver files.
3. The extractor wizard will create a new folder for the driver files. It will be at "c:\dell\drivers\xxxxxx". Write down the exact location that the wizard creates.
4. If the driver begins to install automatically, halt (cancel) the installation.
5. Browse to the driver files on the hard drive (the location you wrote down).
6. Find the "setup.exe" file.
7. Right click on setup.exe to open the context menu.
8. Select the Properties.
9. Select the Compatibility tab.
10. Check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for"... WinXP.

if someone can help me on how to get the compatible sound IDT

An IDT driver will not work on the C610.

1 Message

May 11th, 2016 07:00

My computer got the problem with sound since when i changed from using windows XP to windows 7, NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED is the msg on the speaker but I always cured it by using a driver pack solution and the red mark X on the speak disappeared, now i have tried it but it does not find any problem with sound so no drivers are installed, My computer is dell latitude C610 and im using windows 7, i tried to follow the instructions from the link provide so that i download a new sound IDT but the sound IDT was not compatible with my computer hence if someone can help me on how to get the compatible sound IDT i think it will be helpful to me

3 Posts

June 5th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

I just recieved a brand new Latitude e7270 and it has this exact issue.

I went to the Dell Support website and updated the latest audio drivers recommended:

Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver  

File Name: Audio_Driver_WFF6R_WN32_6.0.1.6085_A02.EXE,
And still no audio can be found.. input OR output. (Microphone also missing..)
Any help here would be great!
Thanks,
Mori

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

June 6th, 2016 05:00

BTW, do you know which version it is? I see that a new revision just came out on May 25.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Mori, thanks for the update. It is extremely odd that a new laptop would have the audio off in the factory-installed BIOS. That means that all Dell laptops with that BIOS version will have the exact same problem. Bad news.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

I just recieved a brand new Latitude e7270

Hello Mori. If you received a new laptop and it had no audio out of the box, you should contact tech support immediately. If tech support cannot resolve the issue within a few days, return the laptop as defective. Do not take too long because the return period is quite brief, and after it expires then you will be stuck with the computer.

Audio_Driver_WFF6R_WN32_6.0.1.6085_A02.EXE,

There is a newer version that Dell just released on June 1. Realtek version 6.0.1.6105

3 Posts

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the help, in the end I resolved it myself. Can't belive I didn't think to check this.

After the driver installed flawlessly and all seemed like nothing would help, I went into the BIOS and found a silly little toggle under "Configuration - Audio" which simplay stated "Enable Audio" which was ticked off.

Ticking it On and restarting added the Audio to the PC... unbeliveable to think such a checkbox would be left unchecked. A bit of tech saviness saved alot of trouble.

The funny thing is, I *did* contact Dells' tech support and went through a whole range of steps upon which resulted in the tech support guy asking me to Reinstall Windows 7!... Luckly enough I didn't.

Well, thanks for the help in anycase,

Mori

3 Posts

June 6th, 2016 06:00

Hey,

I don't know what BIOS I first had, because one of the steps to try and fix this was updating the BIOS to 1.5.3, which may have maintained the previous BIOS's settings which had this disabled.

Currently its at 1.5.3, latest Dell has on its website.

1 Message

August 24th, 2016 08:00

What do I do now please? The internal microphone does not show.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 25th, 2016 05:00

What do I do now please? The internal microphone does not show.

Hello. If you need help, please reply back with the full model name of your laptop and say which operating system it has. Explain in full the nature of the problem, when it started, and what you have tried so far.

What do I do now

What have you already done?

The internal microphone does not show.

This thread is not about microphones, so if your issue is that the mic does not work, you should start a new thread to discuss your issue. To start a new thread, go here and click on the "New Post" button.

No Events found!